Installing air filter on 215 SC engine.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

anthonymsaad

I have a 2012 Challenger 210 430hp. I noticed on the other engine variants that they have air filters, while the 215hp engines have an air intake silencer. Not entirely sure where air enters, even reading the shop diagram, but also know there isn't any filters. That said, I'm not sure is there is some way debris isn't sucked into the engine, acting similar to an air filter.

If there isn't much filtration done on the engine, I would like to look into installing some sort of air filter. I trailer my boat everywhere and, on occasion, I have drove down some streets with construction and through a plume of debris. Not sure how much got pulled inside the engine compartment through the side air inlets, but I don't have much of a way to get rid of them. Additionally, I am trying to find a way to fabricate some inserts for the side air inlets, similar to fighter jets as in the attached picture. Still working on how to secure them in there and to the boat, in the even they fell out, but just throwing out suggestions.

Curious to know if anyone else ever thought about this or figured out a way to protect the engine compartment from not accumulating debris when not in use?

Attachments

• 160526-Z-YH452-272.jpg
    160526-Z-YH452-272.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 21
That air "silencer" is unique to the 210. The 180 and 230 boats with 215 motors have a normal intake tube and filter like pictured below. Must be a tight fit in the 210 with twin 215's and doo doo decided to shorten it up.
b5b564bf87d6fd4d48e7b864cf8fce10.jpg

I have a 2012 Challenger 210 430hp. I noticed on the other engine variants that they have air filters, while the 215hp engines have an air intake silencer. Not entirely sure where air enters, even reading the shop diagram, but also know there isn't any filters. That said, I'm not sure is there is some way debris isn't sucked into the engine, acting similar to an air filter.

If there isn't much filtration done on the engine, I would like to look into installing some sort of air filter. I trailer my boat everywhere and, on occasion, I have drove down some streets with construction and through a plume of debris. Not sure how much got pulled inside the engine compartment through the side air inlets, but I don't have much of a way to get rid of them. Additionally, I am trying to find a way to fabricate some inserts for the side air inlets, similar to fighter jets as in the attached picture. Still working on how to secure them in there and to the boat, in the even they fell out, but just throwing out suggestions.

Curious to know if anyone else ever thought about this or figured out a way to protect the engine compartment from not accumulating debris when not in use?

Unless the inside of your engine compartment is full of dust and debris, it's highly unlikely that you'll suck up anything into your engines. The whole point of running your blowers prior to engine starting is remove any gas fumes from the engine compartment to lessen the chances of an explosion. If there were any floating dust or debris in there, the fan should remove it as well if it's airborne. I'm fairly certain the engineers at BRP knew what they were doing when they designed these intakes.

Just to clarify. The air comes in from the port side of each engine intake tube.

intake.jpg

I have a bit different setup but I use a K&N RE-0800 , catches tons of dirt and debris. You can go on their website and look up the sizes of the hole to match your pipe size, I used a 0820 before but it was too restrictive when a little dirty so be sure to get a longer filter if you can fit it in.

There's lots of room in the engine compartment but not necessarily right at the super charger. Was hoping someone had concocted a setup already. I've been looking at a Riva adapter, some flex hose, and their power filter but think you might need catch can as well. Would be nice if there was a specific kit...

Thanks @JPass ! In general, blowers work alright getting fuel vapor, but not so much as getting debris. With my interactions with the BRP engineers, I'm a little hesitant in trusting them. Besides the restriction present, just prefer some redundancy and protection against debris that gets pulled in. For an unrelated issue, had to use a fire extinguisher and I have a bunch of residue from it that I'm trying to get rid of, but don't want sucked in.

Custom short ram intakes are easy to make but finding a place to mount the voltage regulator is a common concern. Not sure on the 210 but 150/180/230 have the vr on the intake to help cool and when going custom short ram with k&n type filter, you need to relocate the vr to keep air flowing around it.

Thanks @JPass ! In general, blowers work alright getting fuel vapor, but not so much as getting debris. With my interactions with the BRP engineers, I'm a little hesitant in trusting them. Besides the restriction present, just prefer some redundancy and protection against debris that gets pulled in. For an unrelated issue, had to use a fire extinguisher and I have a bunch of residue from it that I'm trying to get rid of, but don't want sucked in.

I installed an airbox delete kit on a friend's ski years ago. It took the intake that we have and replaced it with a short plastic tube and cone shaped filter. Worked like a champ. Came with a bracket to relocate the electronics that were attached to the intake. Not sure they make a similar kit for our boats.

Thank you again @JPass ! just need to figure out how to do that now. I was thinking I could open up the silencer air box and find a way to mount a K&N filter on that intake tube. But this brings me to other question @Jayme brought up, wanted to install a catch can to help extend the longevity of the engines. Not sure if I should and that oil sprayed back is needed to lubricate the SC flywheel or something.

Thank you again @JPass ! just need to figure out how to do that now. I was thinking I could open up the silencer air box and find a way to mount a K&N filter on that intake tube. But this brings me to other question @Jayme brought up, wanted to install a catch can to help extend the longevity of the engines. Not sure if I should and that oil sprayed back is needed to lubricate the SC flywheel or something.

I would imaging you could run an elbow off the SCer inlet for your filter and find a way to mount the rectifier that's mounted to the stock intake tube. Not sure why you'd need a catch can as any oil deposits that did manage to make it to the intake tract would be washed away (from the intake vales) from the fuel being washed over them. Catch cans are mainly a necessity with DI engines like my Miata.

If our motors have a PCV valve/system, that should handle any oil concerns, but I'm not sure our motors have one. I checked my repair manual and didn't see anything.

Maybe someone else here can confirm if the 4Tecs have a PCV valve or not.

I looked into this when I first got my 210, the cheapest would be the flex tube and filters. You will need catch cans for the "breather tube", I've actually been thinking about installing these with the stock intake setup as it can leave a film on the intercooler internals.

Chaparral Vortex boats have twin Rotax motors with K&N filters. I suppose, one could order through a Chap dealer and get the same setup. Probably crazy expensive though.

Attachments

• CC705A86-E052-429D-8049-32814B0901BA.jpeg
    CC705A86-E052-429D-8049-32814B0901BA.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 25
I was thinking of finding a way to place an air filter inside the silencer box, as its primarily empty. But opening it up and checking it out, I see it dumps air to the bottom, with the opening of the hose to the SC placed above it. Guess the thought was that any debris pulled in would collect at the bottom of the box?

As for the picture, I am fairly certain those are the 255hp engines, not 215hp, as those have externcooelrs, not just intercoolers. Moreover, having just finished up cleaning up my engine bay, notice the covers and some of the wiring vary quite a bit compared to the 215.

I hate to rain on your parade but there is no reason to have an air filter like a K&N on a boat. You are on the water and there is no dust and road debris unless you are running in a sandstorm close to shore. You are only trying to prevent a backfire from igniting fuel vapors per the USCG requirements. This is why 99.9% of watercraft use a metal screen and not a filter element. And if you have that much dirt and trash in your bilge you have other issues.

In 25 years of working on these I have never seen or heard of dusting and engine from not using an actual air filter and as far as K&N I have personally seen at least 5 ATV engines top ends destroyed from K&N filters passing dust.

With that said you can spend your money however you like.

By all means, I really appreciate hearing what you've learned, just trying to do what's best and getting opinions and advice from those that are more experienced. If I could install a metal screen, I would love to. Just for piece of mind, would like some form of protection of ingesting debris instead of nothing.

And you're right, on the lake, don't worry about debris. But I trailer mine to and from the lake and I do see some dust and rocks get kicked up by either the truck tires, trailer tires, or other means due to trailering the boat. Moreover, I do have to pass through some construction sites on occasion that I can't avoid.

I know it's rare and unlike to accumulate that much debris in my engine bay, but I do on occasion and, in the future, I do want to trailer my boat to the beach and don't have to worry about grabbing a shop vac and cleaning the engine bay after arriving to my destination every time.

As of now, my concern and reason for bringing this up was that after having extensive repair work done on my boat by the dealership, and checking the engine bay, Im picking up pieces of cut up zip ties, melted plastic (fire), foam, and random small pieces of metal clips. I know the air intake side is at the front of the engine cover and elevated, minimizing debris collecting near the opening but when you're talking about a boat bouncing a lot on the water, with 2 engines at 8K RPM, I still find the possibility of some debris potentially getting near the opening of one of my engines and the sucking force grabbing some of that crap. Although the debris came from repairs and not cleaning after themselves, instead of on the road, still would like something, like a metal screen.

But thinking about your idea of a metal screen, and although 99.9% of boats use them, I do not see any metal screen in my engine protecting it. But, in minimizing road debris entry, what is your opinion on placing a small netted cover over the inlet tubes for the bilge blower? Shouldn't be enough to restrict air flow, but good enough to at least collect/catch most of the larger debris from getting through. And then every so often, remove the cover and get a shop vac to clean the tubbing outlet. Would try to do the same with exiting tube system.

The metal screens he was referring to are called flame arrestors and their primary goal is to prevent an explosion due to fumes and any spark that may come from the fuel system through the arrestor.

I've been trailering our boat for 3 seasons now and I've never seen any build up of debris. We take it to the beach as well and have trailered her over 2 hours away several times. I understand your concerns, I just don't think they're really an issue with these boats unless you're traveling through dust storms repeatedly.

I wouldn't worry about it and simply go enjoy the boat. Give your engine bay a thorough cleaning and call it a day.

I really appreciate sharing your experiences @JPass and everyone else. Definitely makes me feel a lot better about the engine and can relax a bit more. Took the boat out and was really able to enjoy to my day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back