Hx overheating

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Casey-2500

So I recently got an hx took it out the first time and it ran ok. The carbs definitely need a good cleaning but it ran for about an hour. I noticed that it wasn’t peeing out the side thou. Buzzer never went off and the engine never got hot. I put my hand on the head and the exhaust pipe several times throughout the ride. I get it home to flush it and the throttle revs out of control. My first thought is a lean condition so I reset the low speed screws and turn the out about a turn to turn and half also back off the idle speed screw and it ran great on the trailer and it even started to pee! In my mind I’m thinking great let’s hit the water. Fast forward a few days I run it about 10 minutes on the water and the buzzer goes off. It had been peeing with a solid steady stream and whenever I looked back it was smoking so what the heck. I get home blow all the lines out and I don’t find anything. It was definitely hot I couldn’t hold my hand on the head but the exhaust pipe I could. Hoping that blow out did the trick I take it back out again and within 5 minutes the buzzer goes off and the head is again hot. Any ideas on what could be going on? Could it be a lean condition? Also it cavitates when a look at the pump I can see a gap between the impeller and and wear ring so it’s time for a new one of those but could that also be causing my over heating? Thanks for the help

I’ve never experienced it myself but from reading here on the forum the answer would be yes it can cause overheating because it’s not forcing as much water into the engine to cool it as it normally would with a good impeller to wear ring clearance

I agree with jimmy, the pump forces water into the cooling system..and on an hx, it's a longer route to get to the motor. If you do a reverse flush, does it overheat ? (Your garden hose freely forcing water through the motor). Are your drain lines clear?..take an air gun and blow out all your lines.

Ya I’ve blown all the line out twice now. When I messed with the carbs I don’t think I turned the low speed screw out enough and it’s running to lean so I’m going to play with that and hook the hose up and let it run for 10 minutes or so and see how it does then Head to the ramp.

Ok so it ran fine on the trailer. After 10 minutes it wasn’t even warm. Take it to the ramp and the buzzer went off after a few minutes idling on the trailer and was barely coming out of the pisser and a few times stoped all together So it’s not picking it up in the pump so it’s definitely wear ring then I’m guessing. Just can’t figure out why it didn’t overheat on the first ride

Jus to add to this, if you have to mess with the carb screws, especially a turn or more you are running really lean.

Without addressing the carbs and fuel system you are going to seize this engine.

I read the seadoo and I have turned the low speed screws out 2 full turns. It calls for 1 3/4 but I want it to run a little rich. Haven’t had a chance to test it because of the overheating

The LS screws only control the mixture at idle. So you as soon as you touch the throttle they really aren't going to be running any richer by messing with them but it can make it idle bad or hard to start.

Haven’t messed with the high speed screws yet. The wear ring is just causing it to hit the rev limiter. Once I get the pump unstuck I’ll be Able to tune it on the water

I think we're in the same boat...er...jetski. I have a 94 GTX doing the same thing. Rebuilt the pump, new top end kit, fresh carbs and my exhuast is cool but my heads are getting too hot for comfort and I have poor flow coming out of my pisser. Have you checked your manual to make sure your hoses have been properly ran?

ive blown all the hoses out several times. I can hear good airflow out of all the lines I blow out. I did notice today that one of the exhaust gasket was leaking so I’m going to replace it. I don’t think that will solve the problem though.

So I decided to hook the hose up to the water inlet hose and it’s circulating water but i don’t think it has the same force that the flush port has. Water flows through line fine I don’t think there’s a block there. Could it be in the head? I’m stumped

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back