Help - Steering Cable nut problem

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

timp4411

Hi All.

I have a 2006 GTX Ltd and the steering cable nut broke off and reverse was not working. I ordered two of the aluminum nuts as replacements. I figured I'd replace both the reverse cable nut AND the steering cable nut.

I am having a real problem. I thought I'd be done with this in an hour, but it's already been 5 hours and I have a weird problem on the reverse cable passageway.

Where the nut broke off, I now have some sort of spacer, shim tube or something weird that does not even have threads. Not only can I NOT get the remains of the broken nut out, even if I could, this metal shim/spacer is in the way. I don't know if some sort of protective tube that has been pushed out when the cable was moving or what it is, but this piece of metal is smooth with no threads and the nut won't even fit inside of it.

I have attached a pic of the opening where the new nut should be able to screw in, but as I said, this doesn't even have threads?

HELP Please ! Any ideas or suggestions ?

Thanks for any assistance.20150727_180104.jpg20150727_180112.jpg

Look up all the parts in the online parts catalogue. I hard to replace my plastic nut holding the reverse cable. On my 2006 RXT, there is o-ring and two halves that make up a ferrel/grommet. Helps keep the water out. I had a heck of a time getting the remainder of the broken plastic nut out. As there should be all female threads when all the parts are out.

Looks like you still have the remainder of the nut still inside. Care must be given removing it not to damage the threads.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks AirCraftDoc.

I have looked at other pictures of that opening for the reverse cable, and it looks like that metal "sleeve" does belong there. The threads don't begin until 1/2" INSIDE that sleeve is what I'm guessing and I can't see or feel the threads because the remaining plastic part of that nut are broken off in them.

Kind of a weird set-up, but I now believe that's how it is.

I am going to try to use a small screw driver or ice pick to dig out the broken piece and be as careful as I can not to damage those threads.

What method did you use to get your old broken piece out ?

I am waiting for some new seals and rubber boots, but the old ones seem to be in pretty decent shape and I could re-use them if I had to.

Thanks again.

Use a bright light.
Hand held fine hacksaw blade. Cut 180° slits apart don't go too deep. Then use a 90° ice pick tool - usually known as an o-ring removal tool. Pry up a little at a time. Eventually, it all comes out.
If you get it a little loose, then un thread it. Safer. Good luck!

Hi All.

OK... here is the update. SUCCESS ! I got the broken off part remaining in the threads. I used a very small screw driver and sort of picked away at the outer edge of the plastic and was able to lift up the edge after some time and after that, I just work around it and got more lifted up enough to grab it with some needle nose pliers.

Note that it's MUCH easier to do if you remove the pump completely. Trying to work around the pump will make you crazy. I was fearful of removing the pump, but after I did it, I learned it's pretty easy to do.

Now I just have to finish re-assembling it all. I had to pick up some new rubber boots that go on the cables, but I got them yesterday and will finish the job sometime this weekend.

Thank you AircraftDoc for your help !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back