HELP - Rave Valve Leaking??

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

mejim707

So, I'm into my break in by 1.5 tank of gas, about 30 gallons. Another 10 and It will be completely broken in.

Yesterday when I came home I inspected the engine, and everything was pristine as usual. But today, I go to take it out, start it up and let it warm for a few minutes and start backing away from the dock. I took a quick peek at the engine and there's black oily fluid coming out of the rave from the rubber plunger.

Why would this happen?
Is it common for these to tear or leak?
Is this cause for concern or can I just replace this?

I have been babying this thing, doing the break in to the letter, this should not have happened!

I have had zero running issues, everything is dialed in perfectly I think and it's running very smooth. I have not pushed it either.

IMG_0658.JPGIMG_0659.JPGIMG_0660.JPG

Last edited:
SBT is sending me two new rave valves and rebuild kits. I'll have them tomorrow.

I have to say, SBT with the no fault warranty and just their support alone has been stellar. I'm very impressed with them so far.

Is that blue grease on the bellows where the seal to the plastic caps?
They should go on dry.
Typically these leak the black spooge because the shaft o-ring is hard or the wrong size.

Is that blue grease on the bellows where the seal to the plastic caps?
They should go on dry.
Typically these leak the black spooge because the shaft o-ring is hard or the wrong size.

Yeah you’re right. But that O-Ring is new. The problem I see is that when they installed the valves they added black RTV to the gaskets and some got on the O-Ring which dried to it making an imperfect seal.

Everything else looked perfect and like you said the O-Ring should seal out all of that black stuff from getting into the bellow.

I’m getting the new valves today and I will not be using any extra gasket maker since the gaskets themselves should be completely sufficient. I don’t know why they add this black gasket maker but I’ve informed them of my findings.

Because SBT....
RTV shouldn't be on any part of these engines. Only the copper ring on the pipe gets Ultra Copper RTV.

The one SBT engine I worked on had 5 hours run time and a broken piston. When I disassembled the engine there was black RTV all over the place. Looks like they love that shiznit. :D

I'd look at the lower bellows. Some people say it doesn't call for a spring there to hold the bellows tight but I use either the spring (my preference) or an o-ring. That really isn't a big deal if you choose not to mess with it. Good Luck

So when I removed both raves and it was clear that the RTV was not only on the O-Ring but was also attached to the valve itself and slathered all over the mating surface. It was also mostly covering the hole on the MAG valve that goes into the bellow. Both values are mismatched as well. No clearance issues but not the same parts and had very clear signs of wear. It literally looks like old used discarded valves that were installed with tons of RTV on the gasket. I made them aware of all of this so hopefully future customers don't get stuff like this.

After cleaning all the RTV off and using new bellows, O-Rings and gaskets it runs SMOOOOOTH as silk! Seriously, it's dialed in so nice! It just purrs as you're cruising along.

SBT is going to send another new set of vales since the first ones didn't fit. I'll put the new ones in when I get them Monday and I'll be done! This boat has never run so good. I'm pretty stoked!

Great job on this boat, your tenacity has paid off and you now have a nice reliable Seadoo boat. I’m planning on restoring a 1998 Challenger, hoping to get the engines out before winter and into my shop for rebuilding/inspection and then re intake them over the spring and early summer. Hoping you wouldn’t mind helping me out a bit once I get at it?

Great job on this boat, your tenacity has paid off and you now have a nice reliable Seadoo boat. I’m planning on restoring a 1998 Challenger, hoping to get the engines out before winter and into my shop for rebuilding/inspection and then re intake them over the spring and early summer. Hoping you wouldn’t mind helping me out a bit once I get at it?
Yeah that has two 787s? I can sure help with questions about those engines. Absolutely reach out if you need help.

And removing the engine is easy if you have a decent hoist and you remove the engine bay lid. The entire job was a breeze for the most part.

Yeah that has two 787s? I can sure help with questions about those engines. Absolutely reach out if you need help.

And removing the engine is easy if you have a decent hoist and you remove the engine bay lid. The entire job was a breeze for the most part.
I was straightening up my shop Saturday and decided to open one of my containers that has had parts sitting on top of it for months and months. In it sat a completely rebuilt 787 ready to go. :) I opened the packaging and dumped oil all over everything and fogged the engine. :) Gotta put this one on my todo list. I got engines everywhere. LOL

I was straightening up my shop Saturday and decided to open one of my containers that has had parts sitting on top of it for months and months. In it sat a completely rebuilt 787 ready to go. :) I opened the packaging and dumped oil all over everything and fogged the engine. :) Gotta put this one on my todo list. I got engines everywhere. LOL
You know you have to many engines when..... you forget one in a crate under some old parts

I'd sell some of these engines but I get a lot more for them if I put them in a ski. :D :D

Last edited:
yeah man you’re doing it right! I’d love to get to a point where I have numerous engines on deck haha One day

Easier just to keep the ones you have running correctly. :) I got 10 skis and the Speedster to restore. At this point I just trying to clean up and get back some of my space. LOL

Easier just to keep the ones you have running correctly. :) I got 10 skis and the Speedster to restore. At this point I just trying to clean up and get back some of my space. LOL
If you were around this area I'd help lol

I'm going out to my uncles in October. He's got a 96 Seadoo Ski in his garage that hasn't been run in ages. I'm going to go through it while I'm out there. If it's decent, I'll prob buy it. Why not have another project haha

Don't pay too much and count on the engine being "done."
My intention is to really go through it first to identify everything that's wrong. I'll have my tools and he'll let be pull things and do a deep dive.

They're asking $700, but I could get that down I'm sure if it's egregiously bad.

If you were around this area I'd help lol

I'm going out to my uncles in October. He's got a 96 Seadoo Ski in his garage that hasn't been run in ages. I'm going to go through it while I'm out there. If it's decent, I'll prob buy it. Why not have another project haha

Post some pictures !!

Back