Help changing fuel filter 2000 XP

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Borowski

Hello,

New member asking for help in physically installing a new fuel filter in the 2000 XP model. The top part piece holds the fuel lines, and the bottom part is the fuel filter and the holder for it. I assume the holder just unscrews from the top, but it does not do this with moderate presasure, and I don't want to force it and break it.
I did post this earlier, but did not find it anywhere. New member trying to get the drill...

Is there some other action I need to take to change this fuel filter?

Thanks,

Bob

The bottom part should twist off. The filter is inside and should stay on the top part as it is lightly pressed into/onto the top part. If the parts have not been apart in a while the plastic will tend to stick together. Also there is an o-ring that seals the upper and lower pats. If that seal is missing it will leak air into while riding and leak some fuel out. So if this was the issue someone may have over tightened to stop the leak. Check the o-ring when you get it off. Try some channel lock pliers to aid in leverage just don't apply much squeezing pressure to the plastic or try a strap wrench.

Yes, just unscrews.
efe4a9a5c9c5b68b4f54eaf85e5e5555.jpg

90297d33ed9ff8c9733311d5e10256bd.jpg

Thank you gents for the details and pictures. Exactly what I was hoping for on the forum.

Filter is now changed. No problem. Just needed a start with a vise grips.The initial problem was in the driveway trying to get it to run more than 15 seconds and then die. Gas is full. When I bought the filter, dealer said sometimes the "off- on -reserve" button sometimes makes a problem. He suggested running in reserve mold. So I did both things and it was running again. Fuel gauge doesn't work anyway, so I have to "stick the tank" to be sure there is enough gas.

But it probably only runs less than 10 hours in a season, as I like to cruise at full speed around the lake on flat water. Great thrill for a an old guy at 60 MPH! It was a big deal in its day and still is for me!

Time to get it launched and tried out and tied up to the dock. Thanks again for your help.

Be careful of that fuel valve. Typically they go bad, leak air then seize your engine from running lean at wide open throttle.

Thanks for the warning. I did not launch it yet as water was rough and we are not up here yet full time.

I don't usually run it full throttle all the time, but will be sure I don't I guess. Things get older and then fail. I suspect replacement cost is pretty high these days, like everything else.

Will the engine make a different sound if it is running lean?

Thanks

They aren't that expensive $40 for the WSM 006-604.

It's way cheaper than a seized engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back