Getting my old 97 Seadoo Sportster back, with problems

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, here's the thing. The boat sat for a while (3 years) in my buddy's back yard. He said he did a compression test, and one cylinder is very low on compression. It was working fine when I had it, but when it sat, who knows what happened.

So, the dilemma I have is what should I do? I have three options:-

A) Rebuild the top end. The parts from SBT for the whole top end is only 259 and I can do all the work myself in a weekend.
2) Just buy the piston and ring set (also from SBT) and get 2 of them, rebuilt both cylinders and that'll be 200$ (also weekend)
III) Buy the whole re-manufactured engine from SBT. The regular engine is 750 and premium engine is 1000 bucks. I don't know what the difference in price is for, but 750 for an engine seems like not a bad deal.

So, which route would you guys recommend?

Also, if anyone has any experience with SBT, what do you guys think? Are they any good? Their website seems to show pretty much great results. But, we know how that is...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanke

Romeo

Ok I will break this down for you, we need to know how many hours are on the boat, if it's much over 200 figure on rebuilding the whole thing. If it's under 200 the first thing to do is pull the spark plugs and ground the wires , then spin the engine over, does any oil come out of the spark plug holes, if so full rebuild time again, if not open up the motor by removing the cylinder head and visually inspect the bores, what do you see ?

OK, well, I'm over seas on deployment right now, so I won't be able to check that soon. However when I get back, I'll check and go from there.

Thanks bro. I appreciate it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back