Gauge says high temp low oil 1997 GTX

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Benalexe

IMG_1623.JPG

Gauge says low oil high temp. I read online someplace that it is the compass. I replaced the compass and same issue. Any thoughts?

It’s a multi function gauge. If it’s saying low oil then the oil tank sensor is reading low oil. If it says it’s overheating then the temp sensor is reading high temperature or you have a short somewhere.

I'm having the same exact issue. Is your Alarm going off for high temp? Does your info gauge blink compass? Does the hour meter work? I was told and I'm coming to the conclusion that it is the multi function info gauge itself going bad. Check out this video

View attachment 38290

Gauge says low oil high temp. I read online someplace that it is the compass. I replaced the compass and same issue. Any thoughts?

I know you've been chasing this down on the FB forum. Like I told you on there, the compass has nothing to do with it. Double check the connections of the plugs on them, you might have some corrosion going on preventing a good connection. If that fails, try a new oil tank sensor and temp sensor. The gauge itself would be the last thing suspect, and it would be the most expensive to replace.

I know you've been chasing this down on the FB forum. Like I told you on there, the compass has nothing to do with it. Double check the connections of the plugs on them, you might have some corrosion going on preventing a good connection. If that fails, try a new oil tank sensor and temp sensor. The gauge itself would be the last thing suspect, and it would be the most expensive to replace.

Why buy new temp/oil sensor when you can just just check the ohms on each one. Also these gauges are notorious for going bad. If your alarm is not sounding for high temp then most likely your gauge is faulty. It can't be a coincidence both your temp and oil sensor go bad at the same time. The guy in the video said his compass was shorted causing his info gauge to bad. My 97 gtx just got the same issue. High temp/ low oil keeps flashing, hours read - - - -, compass keeps blinking, rpms are way off. Engine runs strong and does not feel hot at all. Oil reservoir is full also. I'll be buying a new gauge with compass to see if it fixes the issue.

Why buy new temp/oil sensor when you can just just check the ohms on each one. Also these gauges are notorious for going bad. If your alarm is not sounding for high temp then most likely your gauge is faulty. It can't be a coincidence both your temp and oil sensor go bad at the same time. The guy in the video said his compass was shorted causing his info gauge to bad. My 97 gtx just got the same issue. High temp/ low oil keeps flashing, hours read - - - -, compass keeps blinking, rpms are way off. Engine runs strong and does not feel hot at all. Oil reservoir is full also. I'll be buying a new gauge with compass to see if it fixes the issue.

Checking the ohms works when you know the ohms you should be seeing., The gauge could be bad, but I'd start with the cheaper route first like connections and the 2 sensors. Swiping something off another ski could narrow it down pretty easily. The gauge should work fine with the compass disconnected, one way to tell if the compass is an issue or not. These gauges aren't cheap, and it's normally the display that goes bad, but there's a fix for that. Also, inside the large connection between the board and lcd screen gets corrosion, may be worth it to take it apart and clean this. I can't remember if the other wires entering the gauge connect to the board via a plug or not, but that could be an problem area. Like I said, may be worth it to open it up before buying another gauge.

Last edited:
Checking the ohms works when you know the ohms you should be seeing., The gauge could be bad, but I'd start with the cheaper route first like connections and the 2 sensors. Swiping something off another ski could narrow it down pretty easily. The gauge should work fine with the compass disconnected, one way to tell if the compass is an issue or not. These gauges aren't cheap, and it's normally the display that goes bad, but there's a fix for that. Also, inside the large connection between the board and lcd screen gets corrosion, may be worth it to take it apart and clean this. I can't remember if the other wires entering the gauge connect to the board via a plug or not, but that could be an problem area. Like I said, may be worth it to open it up before buying another gauge.

I'm not a certified electrician but I guess I can pull it apart and see if I can visually notice anything wrong with it. I know you can fix them if the lcd screen goes bad. But ive seen they are notorious for going bad internally. They get shorted out somehow. Probably from smacking the water so hard. My info gauge started acting up after a choppy day at Long Beach, CA.

I'm not a certified electrician but I guess I can pull it apart and see if I can visually notice anything wrong with it. I know you can fix them if the lcd screen goes bad. But ive seen they are notorious for going bad internally. They get shorted out somehow. Probably from smacking the water so hard. My info gauge started acting up after a choppy day at Long Beach, CA.

When I opened up the info gauge on my 96' GSX to fix the display, I pretty much sprayed everything with a electrical lubricant spray before I reassembled. On mine there was a chalky white corrosion inside, noticeably on the large connection of the main board and LCD display board. Might fix it and it might not, seen at least one case over the last year where it did, but it was after the ski had been flipped recently then the gauge freaked out a few weeks later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back