Fuel problems?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat O'Brien

1996 seadoo hx. Has been sitting for at least 3 years. changed oil,new battery, changed fuel, compression test good, new plugs, new oil filter,new fuel filter. Turns over good but I dont think its getting fuel. What else can I do

1996 seadoo hx. Has been sitting for at least 3 years. changed oil,new battery, changed fuel, compression test good, new plugs, new oil filter,new fuel filter. Turns over good but I dont think its getting fuel. What else can I do

Id pull the plus out and see if there wet with any fuel. If it is check and make sure your getting spark. If its not getting fuel then your pry going to end up pulling the carbs off and cleaning them.

There are a few things you need to do:

1) If the ski has gray fuel lines they need to go ASAP.. They kinda melt on the inside cuasing this green gunk that will fill the filters in the carbs with crap. This is not a maybe this is a most

2) The carbs need to be removed and the little filters on the inside need to be cleaned or replaced.. I am willing to bet the filters are full of gunk from the fuel lines..

3) Check the gasket under the hood, be sure the "O" ring is sealing and your not sucking air..

4) The Fuel selector switch maybe clogged too, you might want to try by passing it.. Come right from the reserve port on the baffel to the fuel filter..

It may be something else, but this will eliminate about 98% of potential problems.. Good luck and keep us updated.. It's always nice to know what fixed the problem..

When you rebuild the carbs be sure to use the spring that is already in the carbs for the needle valves.. This controls the pop off pressure, using the incorrect spring changes the setting .. The kit comes with 3 springs and without a pop off gauge you will not know what you have in there.. There is a really good sticky in the how to section on carbs.. There is also one on how to build a pop off guage.. I just use the original springs and have not had a problem.. I did build a gauge just to be sure, but that was after a couple of rebuilds.. Good luck...

Not bad... Just be carefull when taking them apart. The worst thing is getting them off the engine.. It is easier to take the rotary valve cover off, the bolts that hold the carbs on can be a b****!!! It will take you a little while the first time so plan on two to three hours.. Take a look at the manual so you know what your getting into.. If you have any questions just ask.

Last edited by a moderator:
pull the airbox off, and you'll see the 2-allen head bolts holding the carb/s on manifold. "reagon" was referring to, pulling the rv cover off, with the earlier style carb bases, but your HX has newer style base.

We'll walk you through the rebuild if you have any problems. Just make sure when you take them apart, you keep up with every little piece you take out, such as the jets, needles, etc... Run down to an AutoZone and grab a can of carb cleaner, and after you take everything apart, spray it out completely, including the little black inline fuel filter (which is usually the root of all problems inside of carbs.) Good luck, and we're here if you need anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back