Finally Got in the Atlantic!!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

KrazyIvan

Still Learning the jet ski and loving it more and more. Finally got to troll a bit and this albi hit and pulled hard. Spanish were easy, three in 30 mins with one rod in the water. Next time out we pull some meat for Kings and the like. Looking for cool accessories to attach stuff to the boat, any leads appreciated. This was off Emerald Isle .

20230920_130142.jpg

Nice catch! Also from NC here. Not an accessory, but I would recommend installing a bilge pump and extra battery capacity if you haven't done so. Put a ball valve to shut water entry in case you need to be towed. Take care of the safeties first in my opinion. I've upgraded to a 7XSV garmin model and have the transducer gt57 transducer mounted on the ride plate. The side scan is a plus. Good luck on the kings. I got this fish pro for that main reason.

Td

Thanks T. I really appreciate the advice on safety and extras. I do have a DC pack for jumping but I realize after the ski kicking my ass. I need to be able to switch to another source easily. Where should the ball valve go for towing?

Let me know how that side scan tags fish.

I just add a 1/2 inch stainless ball valve in the circuit shown in the pic. When you're being towed, just remove the seat, reach in and close the ball valve.
The side scan is great for finding structures to the side of the ski. The unit is also compatible with Navionics charts which is super helpful. I have an Ipad mini on the steering handle that is used for navigating and just use the Garmin for the fishfinder. It communicates with the Garmin via wifi. The chart allows you to find "structures" close by. You can plot your fishing spots prior to getting on the water.

Attachments

• ballvalve1.PNG
    ballvalve1.PNG
    1,010.5 KB · Views: 4
Is this a line that comes in to feed exhaust water? I understand the side scan can be awesome to have/use. I do need to install bilge pump, aux batt/switch.. Time and $ will schedule that out. I am having a blast learning this jet ski and fishing stuff. Long way to go however. Thanks for input and advice. Going to stay inside tomorrow and drum fish. Supposed to be 80s and mild winds. Will be the first time I actually drift and drop anchor and use it that way. I let you know if I do anything.

"Is this a line that comes in to feed exhaust water?"
Yes, the water flows through the jacketed exhaust manifold, out the water jacket and into the exhaust. It's a simple system relying on pressure difference to flow the water. The pick up is between the impeller and nozzle where high pressure is present when engine is running.

How did the fishing go? any luck? Fishing the inlet requires you to anchor due to the high current flow. I forgot the anchor one time and fishing wasn't even an option. I see the larger boats using a spot lock trolling motor and was pretty envious. Anchoring can be a pain if you're constantly moving.

Yes, had some luck. I did anchor in the inlet and got a few Flounder to toss back, and another strike that just kept going. Till I get the tow valve installed I keep the engine running. I plan to fab up a bracket an install a trolling motor. Spot lock on the old skiff I had spoiled me. Just have to save up the $$$. I feel that set up will be very effective. My fav is to troll for striking fish in the ocean or these reds chasing mullet.

Attachments

• image000003.jpg
    image000003.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 2
hahaha... the flounder always bite out of season. That's a nice red.
Why not shut the engine off when anchored? Keeping the engine on increase your chance of picking up ropes, fishing lines, and debris into the intake grate. It will also keep the hours down for the ski. I have the tow valve installed, but til this day I haven't used it and hope I would never need a tow.

I don't shut down engine in currents because just like being towed, to prevent water entering engine via exhaust. These machines can pump water in the exhaust easily with the certian conditions. All this will be fixed soon. I still can take advantage of this weeks great weather as is! :)

Did you get to go out? How was the fishing?
I did get out and troll the inlet back and forth, few fat lizard fish, tried some gulp bait on the bottom and got nothing. As always had a blast. I love running the boat hard some, clocking 55 this time while it was pretty flat. I also saw another guy on a fish pro on the waterway. More and More of us fishing.

I did get out and troll the inlet back and forth, few fat lizard fish, tried some gulp bait on the bottom and got nothing. As always had a blast. I love running the boat hard some, clocking 55 this time while it was pretty flat. I also saw another guy on a fish pro on the waterway. More and More of us fishing.
It still sounds like a good time. Way better than a day at the office. I tried pan frying a lizard fish fillet one time. It wasn't bad at all. I would definitely bring some bigger ones home.

It's good to see more people fishing on jetskis. When there' enough on the water, maybe it'll be a good time to organize a fishing trip further out to a reef or wreck.

Back