Fiberglass exposure 97GTX, anyone used brush-on gelcoat?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

GeoSpo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Finishing up 97GTX ski from winter. Previous owner beached on sandy beach resulting in gelcoat abrasion exposing fiberglass. I'm just tackling this issue along the keel only (pic attached) and will only be gelcoating the lower section and evenly taping the remainder of the hull which is in great shape. Not complicated. Has anyone had experience with brush-on gelcoat? And-or, has anyone used high strength enamel or epoxy paint?

Attachments

• WIN_20220516_12_52_39_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20220516_12_52_39_Pro.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 15
  • WIN_20220516_12_52_24_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20220516_12_52_24_Pro.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 15
I just did mine but was in a rush so did a bit of a hack job. I used gelcoat repair stuff to fit ip some of the gashes I got from rocks and used some of the pigment to get it coloured.
Then sanded it a bit all over where I wanted to paint the gellcoat.
But then realised when mixing the gellcoat I didnt have enough pigment left so ended up with the light blue gellcoat stripes under my dark blue hull.

Luckily bought too much gellcoat all in seperate cans so just bought more pigment so I can sand again and repaint.

Trick is the sanding, cleaning with acetone and then the mixing.......too mch catalyst and it goes hard oo quick, too little and it stays tacky forever.

Im just happy that the fibreglass on mine is not exposed anymore for my 2003 ski

Honestly I wouldn't bother as it is only cosmetic.

You will never get a good match and it honestly isn't worth the trouble unless you are going to the the entire bottom.

Thank you for the replies, I've decided to simply scuff the area for adhesion (just the bottom, clean with acetone, and layer-on multiple coats of hunter green Rustoleum High Performance Enamel in a spray can since there were no holes or damage. $13 and easy-peasy to touch up or correct if needed. Good match too.

Attachments

• WIN_20220516_15_14_02_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20220516_15_14_02_Pro.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 10
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back