Engine died, dead in water

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

LeffeP

Hi

On our way home today the engine on our Speedster 150 (215HP) just died on us. When trying to start is turns, and ignite just a little, then the starter disengages but wont start. I have no idea as to where to start looking. Any ideas? No warning info or light on the dash. I have ran the boat 10 hours since we got it and it has always ran flawless.

Last edited:
Did you notice any odd sounds before she died? What year is the boat?

Some things to check:

Check for any loose exhaust hoses or wires.

Try squirting a little fuel into the throttle body to see if she'll run.

Remove and inspect the plugs.

Swap the plugs if you don't know the age. They're cheap and 4tecs are picky about their plugs.

Maybe post some pics or video if you can.

No odd sounds, it was just as you turn off the ignition when it died. Wires checked, all connected. Will check the plugs. Engine turns as it should, and it almost fells like its igniting. Happened a few miles after we filled her up at the gasstation. Boat is a 2008.

Video of starting attempt

Plugs are ok, dry, but ok. I get P0344 from Candoo, Cam Shaft Sensor problem, but it measures ok in ohm, and the tacho read a few hudred rpm when trying to start so i think its still ok.

Are you going to replace the cam sensor being that it's throwing a code for it?

Almost sounds like your starter isn't engaging the flywheel. You can remove the starter and check the bendix out, but that may be difficult to access.

Do you have a compression gauge? If you do, throw it on and see if you can get the cylinder pressure to climb. If it doesn't then it would mean the pistons are spinning and that the starter bendix may be bad.

Starter is ok, but i cant reach the bendix. Guess one has to remove a whole lot more for that. Anyway, its going to the local dealer next week, i cant figure this out...

Starter is ok, but i cant reach the bendix. Guess one has to remove a whole lot more for that. Anyway, its going to the local dealer next week, i cant figure this out...

Bendix is on the starter. It's what throws out the gear to engage the flywheel to start motor. It sounds like it may not be working properly. That starter seems to be spinning freely from your video.

Video below shows how the bendix works

How a starter works

I know how it works but my starter looks nothing like that. Its just a motor with a gear at the end, no solenoid to engage the gear. The solenoid is a separate unit. Looks like this, and the gear is always in the same position.Skärmavbild 2018-08-08 kl. 18.58.08.png

The bendix system on our motors is not part of the starter. I was unable to find how the Sea Doo one works specifically. The point I was trying to make is that, from your video, it sounds like the bendix isn't engaging the flywheel properly.

The below diagram shows how it's set-up in the 4tec motors:

bendix.jpg

True, is seems like its due for a change :) Thing is, it looks like one has to tear apart quite a lot to get to it. At this point i would have preferred it beeing integrated to the starter.

Anyone change it and know how much work it is?

I've never swapped one out. Looks like the rear cover behind the supercharger will need to come off. Maybe time to take it to a shop? Or try removing the starter and see if you see anything inside the starter hole. Maybe the bendix is just a little stuck?

Cant see anything from the starter hole. Well, just have to face it and bring it to the shop and have them fix it. the starter is just one problem, the fact that i died still remains a mystery....

Well, i did find the problem, the cam chain snapped off. This may also be why the starter acts up now if the engine is locked up. Guess its nothing to do but taking it to the shop anyway.

IMG_2664.jpg

Will know next week when the shop looks at it. Since i was doing 7000 rpms when it died, there may be quite a few vales bent...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back