Eliminate oil tank

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Colseadoo1955

I’m looking to eliminate the oil tank and oil pump system on my 1997 GSI 717 and just pre-mix my fuel. Since the oil pressure is also used to pump fuel to the carb, how does that work?

There is no good reason to remove the oil injection system on these. They are reliable and will use way less oil than premix.

Having said that, the oil system has nothing to do with the fuel system or carbs.

If you switch to premix you will have to still supply the rotary valve chamber with fresh oil so you will still need the tank or some kind of reservoir.

To remove the oil injection you can remove the drive gear and leave everything else or buy an aftermarket block off kit.

As such, I will retain the oil system but am replacing the OEM digital gauge (which is bad anyway) with a pair of conventional marine analog gauges. One is a multi-gauge that indicates oil pressure and I would like to install a sensor and do that. As there is a feed hose, a return hose, and that short L shaped hose from the block to the lower rear of the carb, if I were to find a workable pressure sensor, where would be the best place to install it and, as such, what would a normal pressure reading be?

There is no oil pressure on these, being a 2-stroke, so the gauge would be pointless.

It is a gravity fed oil system for the rotary shaft. The oil injection pump works on very little pressure.

There is a two-wire sensor of some type that sits in the oil tank. The two wires read open ohms now. How does that work and/or what does it do?

It is just an idiot light. Float goes up, light is off, float goes down, closes the circuit and light comes on. Nothing more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back