Drive coupler smoking (?)

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

SoulMan

2014 GTI 130.

Out of action for a little while (4 months or so) to fix steering bracket and did oil change.
When I started it up, with seat off, funny noise from drive coupler (between engine and pump). It looked like the rubber hose/seal rotated slightly and there was a small amount of smoke and burning rubber smell. I shut it down, everything looked OK so I started it up again and everything seems fine. Impeller is turning, no noise, no smoke, no burning rubber smell.

Do I need to pull the coupler apart? My fear is if the dampner (I assume they have one, my SuperJets do) is tweaked/bad then it may not work under load (impeller spins now, but will it in the water??).

Anyone ever see this happen? Usually the seat is one when I start it, so it may have happened before and just didn't know it.

I am assuming the coupler you are speaking of is the Carbon Seal. It is not a coupler it is a carbon seal against a metal hat where the driveshaft goes through the hull.

You can't run your machine out of water for more than a couple of minutes as the water your seadoo sits in in the water actually keeps this cool.

Hopefully you did not damage it. If you did, your machine will typically leak water excessively at this seal while underway. I would keep an eye out for water in the hull the next time you are out.

Thanks! I think that is it.
It smoked it as soon as I started it and shut it down within 2-3 seconds.
I was able to check my manual and see that there is no dampener or anything that would have been fried.

I'll keep an eye out for water intrusion once I get it in the water. Thanks!

Back