Did the power valves catch?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Klipsh

Hello,

I’m in the process of rebuilding a 951DI I’m pretty close to dropping the motor in. I was thinking about what even caused this mess in the first place and I thought to look at the power valves and old piston. Judging off the pics would you say the power valve cuaght the piston ring?

Second thoughts:

I heard rumors that this jetski was run without oil. I am not sure if that is true or not but a supporting reason for that claim of no oil is a frozen rod bearing on the old crankshaft almost like it got too hot. So would it be possible that the engine got so hot that the rings expanded enough to nic the power valve? On the first picture with that chunk at the top missing. I was thinking maybe that was the first issue to happen when the engine got hot. And then of course as I previously said it got hot enough and expanded to nic the valve.

Attachments

• IMG_6459.jpeg
    IMG_6459.jpeg
    267 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6458.jpeg
    IMG_6458.jpeg
    240.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6457.jpeg
    IMG_6457.jpeg
    278.9 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Please tell me you didn't just put in standard pistons with that much damage on the old ones.

Please tell me you didn't just put in standard pistons with that much damage on the old ones.
Sorry, I don’t really understand what you mean.

If this helps any, the sleeves are new and were bored to the correct measurements at a machine shop, new pistons and rings of course.

Yes, that does help, that should be very good.
I thought you just honed the damaged cylinders and put in standard sized pistons.

You will not have to mess with the raves with standard sized pistons but you should take them out, clean and inspect them.

Typically these blow up from lack of fuel or lack of oil. Bad injectors or failed oil system.

Yes, that does help, that should be very good.
I thought you just honed the damaged cylinders and put in standard sized pistons.

You will not have to mess with the raves with standard sized pistons but you should take them out, clean and inspect them.

Typically these blow up from lack of fuel or lack of oil. Bad injectors or failed oil system.
Okay, sorry for the misunderstanding!

I cleaned up the raves they had a lot of crap on them but I got it pretty good, the little chip on the rave shouldn’t be a problem right? I’ve never heard people say it is. Also just to note I’m gonna be using amsoil instead of XPS. Better price and atleast in the big picture it’s good oil.

So my question at this point kind of boils down to, can I start the engine right away and just try to listen and see if there is a bad fuel system? I tested the oil pump it pumps evenly across all three lines. One oil check valve is new the other 2 I tested a little bit with pumping some WD-40 thru them they flowed the same. Got a new oil filter and I’ll open up the old one to see if there was any gel from mixing oils.

Back