Destroyed Crankshaft Splines on 2016 Seadoo

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

etemplet

Premium Member
Premium Member
Hello All, this isn't my normal kinda post but in my area a young man that just paid his Seadoo off has a real problem and I am trying to help. I haven't seen the ski but I am told the splines in the crankshaft sheared off and the dealer wants $8K to repair the ski. Being a jet ski restoration kinda guy I am all about repairs and I sure would like to help this guy if possible. Said he didn't hit anything was just riding and it failed. So... Any tricks?? I will get the model number and post back. He paid $13K for the ski and bought it brand new. Help.... guidance is appreciated.

If it's the splines in the engine then you would have to pull the engine open it up and replace the crank adapter and hopefully only have to clean out the debris and put it back together, as well as all the parts like a new shaft seals etc. and you would have to have an engine alignment tool to set the engine back in. Pending it's a 4tec engine, kind of rare to lose the splines in the engine in a 4tec as they are oil lubricated, more likely the impeller splines go first because the grease dries out and it wears down fast especially in salt water.

It would be nice to know how this happened on such a new ski. Engine not aligned at the factory?

Yes, I don't know the whole story yet or the model. The Seadoo dealer wanted $8K to fix it, The owner wanted to sell it and be done but.... hopefully my cousin and I can get him back on the water for a lot less $$. Looks like I'm gonna learn how to work on the 4 strokes. I was trying to stay away from them. :) I'll post up when I find out more info.

Get the pump off first and see from there what it is for sure, unless they took it apart how could they really know what it is for sure. What was the original problem with the ski ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back