DESS key setup

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

shakapiphawaii

Aloha All. I recently purchased a 2022 Sea-Doo GTX 230. It did not come with a DESS key setup. My question is, am I able to install it myself and what is involved? Do I need a new ECU, post and key or just a Key that I program? Thank you all for your time and insight.

Do you mean it has no Key?..

If so, who did you buy it from as I would have concerns the machine is stolen.

Any dealer can program a new key, or you can buy software like CanDoo and do it yourself.

Do you mean it has no Key?..

If so, who did you buy it from as I would have concerns the machine is stolen.

Any dealer can program a new key, or you can buy software like CanDoo and do it yourself.
I have a regular key with no DESS. I would like to set it up so it takes a DESS key for security purposes.

I think you have everyone stumped because you have to have DESS - that is standard equipment and on your ski. And if there was a DESS problem, you wouldn’t be able to start your ski, which it sounds like your ski starts and runs fine. So maybe post a picture of your key or give some more context as to what exactly you are thinking is happening and there are some very smart folks here who can probably give good advice.

I have a standard key that has no security function. So if someone has another standard key they can just start my seadoo.
What I am trying to find out is do I just buy the security key that needs to be programmed or do I need the security key plus a new post.
I contacted a local dealership and they said I have to change out my ECU in order to setup a security key. I am not sure if that is correct.
In the end I just want to program two security keys that only work for my seadoo.
Hope this is more clear. I am new to the seadoo world so I am just trying to get clarification because I cannot find any videos or info online for it.

You can turn off DESS with software like Candoo, but the question is why would anyone want to do this as basically then you could start the ski with a nickel.

Can you send a photo of the Post?

You get a normal key and a learner key with a new Seadoo, so I don't understand why someone would modify basically a new machine unless the DESS post was bad and or the ECU had an auth issue so they just turned the DESS function off.

I also would be concerned that the machine was stolen.

You can turn off DESS with software like Candoo, but the question is why would anyone want to do this as basically then you could start the ski with a nickel.

You get a normal key and a learner key with a new Seadoo, so I don't understand why someone would modify basically a new machine unless the DESS post was bad and or the ECU had an auth issue so they just turned the DESS function off.

The seadoo is brand new, it literally came out of the box at the dealership. It’s from a pretty big dealer out of Orange County CA with multiple locations. They only provided one new key. I did not get two. This is my first time owning a Seadoo so I don’t have any history on what is suppose to be provided. I can take a better picture later when the sun comes up. Thank you for everyone’s time. I appreciate it.

Attachments

• IMG_6805.png
    IMG_6805.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 14

Here are some photos

Attachments

• IMG_6807.jpeg
    IMG_6807.jpeg
    248.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6808.jpeg
    IMG_6808.jpeg
    159.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6809.jpeg
    IMG_6809.jpeg
    251 KB · Views: 12
Ahh, ok, I did a little search.

Your machine was part of the DESS chip shortage, in which they shipped the machine without DESS so that they could sell them instead of them sitting unsold.

Anyone who agreed to this was supposed to get a DESS post, keys, and programming from BRP at a later date. Your dealer should have explained this to you.

I would call BRP directly and tell you have one of these machines. The Post can be swapped with a DESS post as that is all that is missing. You then program keys.

Thank you so much for that answer. I was trying to look up anything and apparently am not as good at searching as you are. I will contact BRP and get that setup. Thank you so much for your time.

Thank you so much for that answer. I was trying to look up anything and apparently am not as good at searching as you are. I will contact BRP and get that setup. Thank you so much for your time.
Let me know what you find out from BRP. They have gone silent and haven't replied to my inquiries. I bought a 2022 Fishpro and bought a DESS key from their online store only to have the dealership tell me they couldn't program my second backup key to the ECU. I was upset by this until I realized that both the original and the backup both work on this machine. I thought the dealership screwed up, but later I heard about the DESS chip shortage. I tried to contact BRP but no response yet.

Back