Depth Finder - 2008 Seadoo Challenger

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vhodges

I have a 2008 Seadoo Challenger and the depth finder no longer works. Any suggestions from anyone regarding what to do for a replacement. I'm told that the labor required to replace the transducer is not cost effective, and I'm not sure what options are available for an aftermarket depth finder, regarding installation. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Check the fuse. But also, you can sometimes check the transducer. Mine makes an audible ticking when it's on. Get up close to it and see if you can hear it.

I had a Marine shop (Certified Seadoo Shop) look at it, and their diagnosis was that the transducer needed to be replaced. However, they stated that to replace it was very labor intensive (10 hours because they had to pull the engine). And, to install an after market finder was also labor intensive. Just didn't sound right so I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this, or, if anyone has any suggestions for an alternative depth finder. Because we are in shallow waters sometime, the depth finder is valuable.

installing an aftermarket unit is NOT labor intensive. You can either glue the new transducer to the bottom of your hull OR mount it to the outside (more accurate). The Hummingbird ones fit into a 3" gauge pod and are very nice units. Very simple to install and I've got them on all my boats and skis. Only ever had one fail, and that was (I think) because I had it mounted flat, and water would pool and sit on top of the buttons. Anyway, you can find them for around $100. Also, I have an extra transducer for said unit. Post a picture of the connector and I'll tell you if mine matches. I'm not sure if your gauge is stand-alone or integrated into the cluster, but if it's stand-alone, seadoo may very well have contracted with a separate company to make their transducers. If there's a separate gauge, pop it out and see if you can see a brand name on it. My 04 Speedster 200 has a 3" hole for one, but that boat is going up for sale soon as I can finish it.

Purchase and install a HawkEye DT1B DepthTrax 1B from Amazon.com $120 It works fine on my 2007 Speedster 200.

Thanks for the info. Any suggestions for how to get it installed; or is it a DIY project?

It's quite simple to install. If your mounting your transducer inside the hull, you can test your location by placing it in a plastic bag filled with water and laying it on the floor of the bilge. You can then move it around to see where you get the most accurate and consistent readings. Once you figure this out, then you bed it in some epoxy and call it a day.

Try to locate the new transducer near the old one as that is more than likely a good place to start. You can get interference from certain things like the drivetrain.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back