Cylinder Info

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ditch1000

Premium Member
Premium Member
Hi,

I just picked up a project Sea Doo; its a 1998 GTX Limited Edition with a blown top end.
I’m not sure of the engine size but from the attached picture and part numbers; can someone tell me what size this engine is?

Thanks,

Lindy54EDE312-9D1D-4D80-8F9D-B2A70DD6A634.jpeg

It’s was the number on the cylinder; i was hoping this may be a BRP part number, but I guess not..
I’m new to Sea Doos, but I have worked on snowmobiles, ATVs, SxS’s lots so I think this will make a fun project. The Sea Doo is in great condition overall. Right now from what I see the oil line came off the fitting on the PTO intake and scuffed the piston and cylinder. I’m gonna get it re-sleeved and new pistons and seals..
Right now I’m eyeing up sending the cylinder to Atlantic Jetsports. On their website; they say they do re-sleeving and then hone the new sleeve to fit the pistons which I would purchase off them too.
Has anyone dealt with Atlantic Jetsports?? If so, how was their work and how were they to deal with?
I’m sure I’ll have lots more questions over time…
Thanks for the info Spider!!

Take a full picture of the cylinder not just the number. If the two cylinders are NOT separate then you have a 947/951 engine. As @Spider4real stated your engine is most likely a 947.
The picture is the engine going in a 1998 GTX limited...Ignore the circle but you better replace they oil in that counter balance shaft. LOL

Attachments

• 951 Oil Fitting Counterbalance Oil.jpg
    951 Oil Fitting Counterbalance Oil.jpg
    602 KB · Views: 15
That is the ski I own and I have the 947/951. The two numbers mean the same thing, by the way. Some people call it a 947, some will call it a 951. First thing I would do is download the parts and maintenance manual, they are free on the web. I would also do an inspection of the crank shaft, sometimes when the top end goes it damages the rest of the stuff too. Do you know how many hours is on the motor? If it has too many hours might be better to rebuild the entire engine.

Take a full picture of the cylinder not just the number. If the two cylinders are NOT separate then you have a 947/951 engine. As @Spider4real stated your engine is most likely a 947.
The picture is the engine going in a 1998 GTX limited...Ignore the circle but you better replace they oil in that counter balance shaft. LOL

I have a 951 from a 2000 gtx millenium edition I’m doing a top end on. So do you pump out the old counterbalance shaft oil and what do you replace it with. Engine is sitting on my bench so it’s an ideal time to do it

I have a 951 from a 2000 gtx millenium edition I’m doing a top end on. So do you pump out the old counterbalance shaft oil and what do you replace it with. Engine is sitting on my bench so it’s an ideal time to do it
One of the shops I deal with uses Mobile 1 (75W-90) I have used the recommended oil previously which is straight 30wt, 1/35oz or 40ML. There is a maintenance interval on the oil level in this sump. The failure to maintain it will lead to dire consequences for certain. I'm gonna pull the oil out of my 2000RX and refill it while the engine is in the ski. I'm sure I filled it but I want to check it.

Last edited:
That is the ski I own and I have the 947/951. The two numbers mean the same thing, by the way. Some people call it a 947, some will call it a 951. First thing I would do is download the parts and maintenance manual, they are free on the web. I would also do an inspection of the crank shaft, sometimes when the top end goes it damages the rest of the stuff too. Do you know how many hours is on the motor? If it has too many hours might be better to rebuild the entire engine.
It is a mono block cylinder.
I think it had very little hours since the last rebuild…
The mag cylinder piston does not even have the teflon coating worn off the piston skirt..
I’m going to download all the manuals and rebuild it over the fall/winter..
It‘ll be a fun toy for next year..

Last edited:
It ended up being the 947/951 CC engine.
I was going to leave it until this winter to rebuild it, but the summer has been so nice that I sent the cylinder off to the local engine shop to re-sleeve it and get new pistons and a top end gasket kit.
I should have it back together in a couple weeks..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back