Crank bearing - Drive pin

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

NickCawks

Hello everyone Nick here, This is my first post, but in the last 3 months I've been lurking around the forums pretty hard. I'm currently working on a semi restoration project of a 1995 XP720. This is my first PWC, but I'm a experienced mechanic. It's been going pretty smoothly, and pretty much everything I have gotten stuck on I have found on a post here.

However this time I'm kind of stuck.*DISCLAIMER* I have extensively searched through the forums as well as trying to use google and bing.

Anyway, a couple days ago I cracked the crank case to inspect what kind of shape the crank was in. I had very low expectations as everything else on the ski has been in rough condition, but this was some of the better news I have come across on it. The case and crank look great and with a little bit of cleaning all the bearings spin free and smooth.

However upon seating the crank back in the bottom half of the crank case I noticed this.
20170929_213146.jpg
Now I know what they are and what the purpose of them is, but I'm not sure what to do about it. I have tried really hard to find a part number for a replacement or a post where someone has had the same issue. The only thing I have come across is a post on a Yamaha forum where the person was told to put some gasket maker on the outside of the bearing right before re-sealing the case, but I could not confirm this was a method people used with their Seadoo's.

So the question(s) are:
Does anyone know a place where I can buy a new drive pin / know of a part number associated with them?
IF NOT
Is this gasket maker technique a good substitute?

To me it sounds a little janky and not the best idea, BUT if its a tested and true ghetto fix than i'm on board. I'm really not trying to have to go through the hassle of pulling the bearing off and pressing a new one on.

I'd like to thank everyone in advance and say that any advice is welcome!

Where is your missing pin?

They are just a roll pin so you could find one then just cut to length with a dremmel.

Also make sure you place them into the reliefs in the cases.

Reseal the cases with the correct sealant, not RTV silicone. And prep the bolts and torque per the service manual.

haha I have been asking the same question. Since finding it I have pulled the crank back out and done a very in depth search around the table i have been dissembling the motor on. its no where to be found. The bolts all had fresh paint on them so I don't think it has ever be cracked before, but you'd think you would find some etching on the case or something if it had fallen out at some point.

Are you sure it is a roll pin? all the others seem to be solid steel with a slight bevel on the exposed side.

I'm all for fabricating something to do this, I actually already found an allen key that seemed like it was just the right size to be pressed in, but wanted to confirm there was no way to just buy a replacement OEM one.

Last edited by a moderator:
They are sold as part of the bearings.

I would use a roll pin cut to length.

They are there to prevent the bearings from spinning in the case.

I am sure a member here would mail you one from a junk crank.

Contact Matt Braley or Nick at Westside powersports. With the cases sealed there is no place for it to go so maybe it was never there.

Alright i have contacted Matt, but if that doesn't work out i'm all for just buying a roll pin and cutting it to size.

Thank you for your very expedient input it is much appreciated. I think this has cleared up any uncertainties in my mind and im ready to get this thing back on the water!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back