Challenger 180 Supercharger not working

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jwheatley20

Went out in the boat today, and same up on a shrimp boat from behind. Didnt realize the wake was as big as it was until we were up on them, and I knew I shouldnt slow down and make the bow drop in the trough so I just had to hit it doing 25. Boat handled it fine. But I did notice on the landing the boat lost power. After I slowed down, then eased on the throttle, I noticed no supercharger whine. What could have happened? What should I check or look for? Its a 2005 Challenger 180 SC IC

Sounds like you may need to rebuild your supercharger. Take the intake off and see if you can freely spin the impeller by hand.

I notice you are new to the forum. Do a search for "supercharger failure" and you'll find a ton of results. They used ceramic washers the year yours was made in the supercharger, which lead to a ton of problems.

If you do need a rebuild, this kit on pwcmuscle.com includes steel washers that won't fail like the ceramic ones:
Supercharger Shaft/Clutch Kit, '08 Spec Rebuild Kit
http://pwcmuscle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=11

Where is the intake on these things? I look in the engine bay, and nothing looks normal to me. The exhaust goes into a canister, which I thought was the intake. Lol Im bass akwards on this motor. Any more direction would be greatly appreciated :)

What is this for? And why is it zip tied? Lol.

133.jpg

thats for the CIS system. the zip tied part is the cable that goes to the intake grate. the previous owner must have diconnected it and tied it up. it prbably either stopped working or was making the intake grate sag down like most do. deffinatly not somthing to worry about at this stage. your gona have to pull your supercharger off for sure and possibly even your engine to clean out the debris if the washers are exploded.

Man don't tell me that lol. I've been looking at the motor, and it looks like a pain to pull. How will I know for sure if I need to pull the motor?

Pulling the SC is easy. 3 Bolts. You may have to slide the exhaust canister back, I didn't. On my 07 S200 mine were 8mm HH . There are two bolts on either side of the driveline and one up top requiring a box end wrench. All in all it is pretty easy, except uncomfortable.

Ned

You have clutch washers on your supercharger. They are ceramic. They need replacing every 100 hours. If your supercharger spins freely then your washers arent working, most likely they have failed and entered your engine where they will destroy it. Running synthetic oil supposedly makes them fail sooner.

Try a google search for seadoo scic ceramic washer failure, read five or six of the links you find....

There are replacement washers that are not ceramic and wont break apart, you need them!

Good luck, usually this is bad.

KH

I drove the boat in. There was nonoise or popping or anything. It sounded completely normal. Minus the supercharger whistle. I took the 3 star head bolts out holding the supercharger to the intake manifold. But it won't come off. Do I need to takethe outer bolts all the way around the supercharger off as well?

By the way, don't get AT&T. The service sucks. I never have signal.

No just 3 bolts. Do you run in salt water? Maybe is is siezed in there. You may have to tap it out with a rubber mallot. It is tight in there, you sure you have the mount bolts?

Ned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back