Balancer bearing blew

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Hforrester

I have a 1996 seadoo xp and it has unknown hours, blew out the balancer bearing and the side of the case wasn’t aware I did this right away so I idled back to the beach. Got a new motor that has a broken rv gear and crank gear. Can I use the case and shaft to build a new motor? Or is my crank most likely screwed since I idled with the balancer bearing broken? Don’t know how to post video of it running

New motor is the one in the box

Attachments

• IMG_4260.jpeg
    IMG_4260.jpeg
    194.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 71680965346__581DBE12-8A70-4085-945D-FE7EA3DDA93A.jpeg
    71680965346__581DBE12-8A70-4085-945D-FE7EA3DDA93A.jpeg
    520 KB · Views: 8
Disassemble the engine and check the crank condition and bearings. Be gentle. Check the bearings on the balance shaft and condition of the gears. If that stuff looks good... no reason to spend the $$. How was the engine compression Measure the cylinder bores, pistons, and piston ring end gap so you'll know what you have. If you're just saving money you might be able to go with it all as is.

Me personally, I wouldn't do half the engine. You got a lot of used parts there and nuthing wrong with putting it all back together and putting it in the ski. If it blows you didnt lose anything. :D :D These engines can last a long long time past what we believe. I've experienced it with other people's skis. I thought this GTI 717 would blow up after one season if they were lucky. 4 years later.... still riding it. LOL

Have fun with it!!

Okay,, I have experienced very similar issue,,of the bearing going thru the case,,,,,since the centre gear on the new motor is gone,,, that crank is useless,,,the balancer bearing us replaceable with a press,,,or just get another one,,,
so…
pull out the old crank,,give some pics,,,maybe all you have to do is super clean it up,,,new seals,,,,new balancer,,,,,reseal the motor,,,go thru the carbs to make sure the micro filters are clean,,,and “bob‘s your uncle”

Disassemble the engine and check the crank condition and bearings. Be gentle. Check the bearings on the balance shaft and condition of the gears. If that stuff looks good... no reason to spend the $$. How was the engine compression Measure the cylinder bores, pistons, and piston ring end gap so you'll know what you have. If you're just saving money you might be able to go with it all as is.

Me personally, I wouldn't do half the engine. You got a lot of used parts there and nuthing wrong with putting it all back together and putting it in the ski. If it blows you didnt lose anything. :D :D These engines can last a long long time past what we believe. I've experienced it with other people's skis. I thought this GTI 717 would blow up after one season if they were lucky. 4 years later.... still riding it. LOL

Have fun with it!!
Motor that blew balancer shaft 150 both compression and the bores don’t have much crosshatch anymore. New motor with blown crank has 150 compression and bores look great

I don't put too much stock in the crosshatch but it gives an indication of amount of wear. Pick the best one. :) Nice to do things on the cheap and have it work just great and... it will. :)

Have fun with it!!
I second this person's comment.

Back