API TC Oil v. TCW3 Oils Colloquy

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

SurfBeat

If you are facing a quandry regarding what type/brand of oil to use in your Doo, be it a 1990 or a 2010, to save you time, money and heartache I suggest you run a search on the posts by SeaDooSnipe or Dr. Honda regarding this issue.

If you run a general oil search you will find that the issue of oil has been debated many, many times.

To cut to the chase and to answer a relevant question proferred by one member, "is there any proof that using a TCW3 oil is bad for a Doo," based upon my personal experience using Vavoline TCW3 Marine Oil in my 93 GTX/570cc engine, (which "appears" to have been a bad choice based upon the condition of the bearings on my crankshaft/overheating), if you are dead set as I once was against using the oil recommended in your SD Operators Guide, I suggest you do some math and consider the following: 1) over the next 5 years, how many gallons of oil do you expect to purchase; 2) is the approximate $10 per gallon savings (Quicksilver PWC blend API TC v. Wal-Mart's Tech Marine Oil or Vavoline TCW3 worth ANY risk to your engine?

In my case, I'll be using Quicksilvers PWC blend (silver container) because my 2-cycle needs the protection only a mineral oil can give, but also could benefit from the additional protection offered be a synthetic. If necessary, because of the added expense I'll skip a couple breakfasts at a restaurant and instead eat on the patio on the river. I prefer peace of mine over always wondering, did I use the right oil?

In my case, I use about 5 gallons of oil on each Doo per season which will translate to spending about $50 more per Doo.

I recently replaced my crankshaft, $250, plus another $50 for gaskets and other materials. Moreoever, because Dooing is a all suumer long hobby for me, I don't send my Doo to the shop when problems arise: I want to know how to repair it when it breaks down.

If I sent the Doo to the shop to replace the crankshaft, add another $400-$600.

Are you doing the math? I could expend about $900 to save $50. Not a wise choice, even if I was Rockafeller.

That said, my Doo was down for over a month because of that attitude, however, I know have the knowledge to do the repairs quicker and help my pals when they face the same problem.

I apologize to Dr. Honda for mis-quoting him regarding what I thought was his recommendation to use Quicksilver Premium in 587cc engines. Dr. Honda merely related that in the very early 90's, SD had sanctioned the use of a TCW3 oil to get the EPA off its ass. That lasted only a year or so at best, until the white 587 was released at which time SD recommeded the use of Low Ash API TC Oils, NOT any brand of TCW3 Oils.

Quicksilver Premium is both a TCW3 Oil and API TC, however, because it is also Ashless, that fact in itself reflects that it is not the type of oil that is recommended by folks that made your Doo.

I've read every post on this site with respect to the issue of what type/brand of oil to use, so, I made a mistake. Dr. Honda did not recommend the use of Quicksilver Premium Oil in any Doo.

Since summer arrived last week there are now plenty of recent posts to read regarding the Oil debates. If you read my posts regarding oils you will discern the reason I am following SesDooSnipe's and Dr. Honda's advice regarding the type of oil to use in any Doo.

Here in Riverside CA I've only found one store way up in Rancho Cucomonga that carries Quicksilver PWC, thus I am heading over to Western Marine to talk to the manager to carry it.

Within thirty miles of Riverside, Wal Mart only carries Quicksilver Premium Plus, a Ashless TCW3 Oil, not the kind to use in a Doo.

Amsoil, Castrol, Citgo, Pennzoil, Texaco Havoline,Quaker-State, and Stihl manufacture API TC Oils. You now have to find the one you like if you don't want to use XPS brands or the Quicksilver brand which many Dooers on this site use and is about $5 bucks less than XPS. I could not find the other brands where I live so I don't know the costs or availability.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back