98 Sportster twin rotax- issues with one motor only

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
My port side 717 has been giving me problems. Rebuilt it last year. She starts up perfectly fine, but for the past couple months it is really finnicky (sputtering, dying) up until i open past 3000 rpm then its perfectly fine, super powerful. So i pretty much have to turn it on and immediately rev to half throttle.

The past few weeks however it seems to be the opposite. Still starts up on a dime, but now it idles perfectly stable at about 1.5 goes smooth up to 3, but as soon as i try to take it past 3 it completely loses its steam and goes back down to idle or shuts off.

Few things I just thought of that may add context….

1) Batteries die slowly, I realize this is probably my resister that needs to be replaced

2) there is some funny business at times with the throttle. At random points when I’m in neutral it will throw itself into forward. Also reverse… doesn’t really work

5) the starboard side has never had a single issue. Always turns on right away. Accelerates, decelerates perfectly.

Thanks! I’ve already ordered the rebuild kit and will put the starboard(good) carb on the port side to double check this is the issue. I do think there is something else afoot here with the batteries draining and the jerky throttle though!
Cheers

Batteries are big on these because if they drop under 12V sometimes you loose spark. Make sure your battery and charging system are working correctly.

Back