98 Seadoo GS - Starter issues

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

shawn

I have a 98 Seadoo GS and the starter is giving me problems. It takes 4-5 pushes of the button before the seadoo actually starts... any suggestions?

Does the starter turn the engine over fully on the first attempts? Does the engine just not fire while turning over, or will it sit like a dead batter? How does it run when it does start? Have you checked the wires?

Please be more discriptive

when you push the start button you hear the click ont he starter relay but the engine does not start. I released the button and then pushed it a couple more times and the engine eventually starts working and works normally. Sometimes it starts right away but most of the time you have to push the button a couple of times before it will start. About 3-4 years back I had to change the starter relay.

Does anyone know how to remove the starter and how it can be checked?

Shawn

If the battery is a goodun. Check the live and negative cables. Could be frayed and heating up rather than putting power into the starter.
Clean contacts on the engine and starter.
If no joy, your starter might need stripping or renewing.

I dont have a manual on these yet, just going of past troubles.
Maybe someone might send me a CD manual.:D

I checked everything you guys mentioned and it seems to be ok. I'd like to take off teh starter and look at it more closely, does anyone know how to do this? Is it an easy task to remove the starter or does the engine have to come out first or something like that?

If your in the states, theres lots of starters on Ebay for sale.
I would'nt bother stripping it, or sourcing parts.

i've been having the same problem with mine ( 98 GSX limited ). i just pulled the starter out ... what a pain in the butt that was. so hopefully that is the problem. if you got yours running again let me know what you end up doin'.

i've been having the same problem with mine ( 98 GSX limited ). i just pulled the starter out ... what a pain in the butt that was. so hopefully that is the problem. if you got yours running again let me know what you end up doin'.
Before you jump to starter isues, Look at your leads on your battery.
Im only guessing the age of your ski, but the leads on the battery turn black and dont conduct the right amount of electric needed to turn your ski over.
Check the condition and renew first.

Old ski's have problems with black wires.
Age and such.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back