98 Challenger pulling to one side...

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

samsubmerged

Hi Folks,
Got our 98 Challenger up and running with thanks from Dr Honda after a starter issue on the starboard engine. Boat fires up on both engines fine and we went out on the lake to give it a test with the new wear rings I put in last week.

The boat is slow to get up out of the hole and wants to push to one side. I can get it up to about 45 mph but its acceleration is pretty poor. I did notice that after re-assembling the pumps, the starboard impeller clearance is a little more than the port side - say about 1.5mm (1/16" to 3/32") compared to .5mm (1/32") and the boat pushes to the starboard side which would make sense that its that side that's slow to pick up. It is certainly slow to get out from some of the sharper turns.

Both impellers span pretty freely in place and looked centered up and after 4 hours on the lake, there was probably not much more than half a gallon of water in the bilge. My port rev counter will go up to about 2500 rpm and then just falls back to 0 but I can tell the engine is running fast and well. Compression on the engines are 140/140 on port side and 145/150 on starboard and I have new plugs. I am getting a lot more smoke out of the starboard engine as well on start-up...

Any advice on how I can improve things? I see most posts on this are saying cavitation in the jet pump. I bet that if I can get these little issues taken care of, it will be a screamer of a boat! Thanks for all your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back