97 XP, After Carb rebuild engine only goes full throttle...

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

cole701

I have a 97 XP with a 787 that had been sitting since 2013 that I decided to get working this year. It had several issues and I have slowly been able to determine each issue and replace the parts. I have found bad fuses, solenoid, started, fuel lines, fuel switch, and start stop switch. After getting the engine to start it was having issues idling and running full throttle which from all that I read indicated that the Carbs needed to be cleaning and rebuilt. So I purchased part number OSD1223 from OSD Marine (didn't know about this forum yet) and I followed the instructions for rebuilding the carbs. I didn't do the pop off pressure test, rebuild the accelerator pump, nor test the pulse circuit after I rebuilt the carbs. I found out about all that after more research. All that said and done, now the Jet Ski starts but goes right to full throttle and stay until I cut the fuel and it uses up what's in the line... Even pulling the key (or whatever it is called) doesn't stop the engine nor does pressing the start/stop button... It is a serious race condition... Questions are is that the right dual carb kit for this make and model, if so and I did everything right and if I understand the carb circuit correcting the needles might be stuck open?? Or perhaps it is something else... I have the idle screw backed out all the way, throttle lever acts correctly so it's not stuck open, low and high needles were set to low: 1 1/2 and high: 0... Any thoughts... It seems I'm gonna have to take the carbs back off and go through them again but want to avoid that if I can as bending over to work on the ski kills my bad lower back... (any tips on help this would be great too...)

You have a major air leak and what is happening is a lean runaway. Pull the choke to kill it, don't just let it run out of fuel as you will damage the engine.

Typically if it didn't do it before you rebuilt the carbs it is from a carb to intake manifold gasket that is not on correctly letting outside air in below the throttle butterfly. The gasket can slip out of position when installing the carbs.

Another area is the o-ring on the rotary valve cover or crank seals.

Thank you, it didn't do this before I took the carbs off so I must not be getting the gasket back on correctly when I install the carbs... Is there a trick to it??

Get two new gaskets and put a very thin layer of 1211 on them to hold them in place and seal. I never touch a seadoo without having a tube of 1211 and 518 handy.

Do you put the gasket on the carb side with the bolts all the way through to help hold it?? That's what I did. But I'll do it again with the 1211...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back