97 gsx 787 rev limit at 3500 rpm

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oscar_2205

So I have 1997 gsx 787 that o changed all fuel line fuel selector and filter with a good carb rebuild kit I took it out starts up good Idels fine but once you hit the gas it won’t go past 3500 and starts to bog Down and die if you can play with the choke can get to top speed but once off the gas will bog down and die idk if it helps but when reinstalling the carb I belive the oil tentioner line that connect to the carb came in done I’dk if it’s running too lean have good compression in bolth cylinder idk what this could possibly be run and revs fine on the trailer once In water starts to fail

This is going to sound stupid but its a free check. Check your rear hose for soft spots all the way around and to the end. They like to split internally and balloon closed the exhaust as RPM/Load rises.

Hey just wondering if this worked? I am having a similar problem. Mine runs great for about 15 minutes then derates down to 3000rpm.

This is what the exhaust hoses looks like when they are going bad. This was off my 1996 XP. The one on my GTX was much worse with separation. The exhaust gas can fill that space causing it to expand and restrict the exhaust. You can find this problem by squeezing the exhast hose by hand, feeling for soft spots. It is easy enough to remove and check. The collapsing on my skis was close to the exhaust water box near the first Bend in the hose. Hope this helps.

XP Jet Pump and Exhaust Issues (8).JPEG

This may sound strange but easy to test. I've discovered this to be a problem a few times when I had bogging issues that seemed like I wasn't getting fuel.. Take the mesh water separator from under the hood and fill it with water and see if it instantly drains or holds the water. If it holds water, wash it with dawn or Super Clean then it should not hold the water anymore. Reinstall and give it a try. Also, check the o-ring on there. it could be leaking air. I also had to replace rectifiers in my '97 and '96 for bogging issues. If you disconnect the red wire on the rectifier and the problem resolves, it's a bad rectifier. Note you will not be charging the battery with the red wire disconnected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back