96 xp full rebuild

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brprxt215

Hello everyone and hank you for your time. So I just bit the bullet and spent the $1400 to have my 96xp motor fully rebuilt top end and bottom end. What do I need to do for the break in period to keep it running strong. Also what preventative actions can I take to maintain the longevity of the new rebuild? TIA

Better late then never with the questions I guess. I say that cause $1400?!? That better be guru built with all OEM parts for that kind of money. Normal rebuilds are everywhere in the 800 dollar range.

Yes without a healthy fuel system the new engine will fail just like the last one did. You need new automotive fuel lines, a new fuel switch, carbs with new OEM kits and needle & seats holding pop off and set to the proper settings, and a fresh battery.

I would buy a rectifier (under $20) because they always fail on you if they're still original. Trim back the plug wires 1/4" and screw the boots on till they stop spinning. Put a new wear ring in the pump if it has not been done in the last 5 years. Check the VTS boot above the pump because even if you leave it inop it will still leak there.

All this and more are well worth the time, trouble and money. That's the "best jetski of all time" in many educated opinions.

Make sure you are running plenty of oil to the engine. If your running the oil injector, mix a little bit extra oil in with the gas. Adjust and bleed oil injector prior to starting. Rebuild the carbs with genuine mikuni kits and go through entire fuel system and make sure all is clean. If still has original grey fuel lines, replace those immediately. Inspect and if necessary replace fuel strainer and inline oil filter. Make sure fuel selector is operating properly or just replace it regardless. Proper maintenance is crucial for a long and happy engine, mainly the fuel system. Keep everything clean. I go through my carbs every year not necessarily replacing the internal parts but just to make sure everything is clean. Always good to fog engine if its gonna sit a while.

For the break-in you want to heat cycle it. First ride it at about 1/4 throttle for 15 minutes then let it cool down for about 30 minutes varying the throttle the entire time. Don't just hold it in 1 spot. Do this for the first 1/2 tank of fuel. Then it's the same routine at 1/2 throttle for the next 1/2 tank of fuel. Then 1/2 tank of fuel up to 3/4 throttle and for the final 1/2 tank you can go up to full throttle but don't hold it there. After the 2 tanks of fuel it is broken in.

Make sure you are running the correct API-TC full synthetic oil.

Thank you all for the input. I’m only going to put good brp oil in it and non ethanol fuel. I’ll make sure to take the actions on the break in and baby it for the first couple tanks. It was all rebuilt using wsm parts so for $1400 seemed reasonable for parts and labor. The carbs will all be rebuilt with mikuni kit new fuel lines. I just asked the guy to clean fuel selector and oil injector and to check and replace wear ring and vts boot. Also having him rebuild raves. It is worth spending the money as I plan on keeping it for many years. Now how does warranty work? Is that on parts or on the labor? It is not an actual shop it is a guy who used to work and race for shops and is now doing it in his spare time on the side.

I don't want to put you off but did that $1,400 include installation and removal of the engine or just the rebuild?

Typically someone doing work on the side will not warranty anything and if they do good luck getting them to honor it.

That includes engine tear down, new crank, new wsm piston rings gasket pins, rebuilt carbs and raves, new wear ring, and installation of all parts. I’m just hoping he does good work. His pictures of builds on Craigslist was nice. I don’t think he would screw me considering he’s doing the work out of his garage at his house

Good deal since it includes all that. Sounds like he is the kind of guy who really "gets it" too and not just a general mechanic. It's hard to nail it the first time perfectly from the garage though no matter how good you are. There is usually a minor little issue or two as well as some fine tuning to do during the first wet test. It's hard to tell what's what when your babying it around during break in so I just hope he answers your call down the road if you need him. I'm sure he will lol we just here a lot of horror stories over the years.

Yeah it’s not his first one out of his garage he seems very knowledgeable and has been answering me every time I text or call in a timely fashion. I think he gets that I’m nervous and anxious all in one haha. If I do need him down the road I am kind of screwed as he lives an hour and a half from me but was the only one willing to do it. I took it to a shop in November and they let it sit until two weeks ago. They said they couldn’t do it because of snowmobile season and just let it sit outside. I was not a fan of that as I have a heated garage to keep it in so I called this guy he said bring it down it sits in his garage all the time on stands and he already has the motor apart and new parts on the way in a weeks time. That’s the service I was looking for. I am planning to be out when the water temp hits 40 degrees in a dry suit haha! Now since this won’t come with a warranty most likely should I tell him let’s wet test it before I pay him and make sure it’s all there or just have some faith in humanity that there is good honest people out there still?

You can have these things as perfect as you see possible on the trailer but you don't really know what you have until the wet test. It would be nice if he has a ramp near him so you can take it for a spin. Just ride it with the seat and under seat baffle off and make sure no water is spraying out when you get into the throttle and that the hull in not filling with water. Make sure it idles without stalling and jumps right out of the hole when you hit the throttle. You should be able to lay your hands allover the engine and pipe at anytime without things being too hot.

im Assuming there is something in the facinity. He has skis of his own. Most people I don’t think travel much further then a half hour to use their toys. At least around where I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back