96 SPX slowed to a crawl after a few minutes on the water no matter what throttle...

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

JUSS10

Wasnt sure how to title this but I'll try to explain my issue the best I can.

96 spx that i picked up a few months ago. Was going to use as a parts ski but got it running pretty good and finally got it to the river today.

backed in to the water and it fired right up. turned around and took off and followed my wife on her XP. Was running great for the first 5 minutes I bet then all of a sudden it started to slow down and sound like it was cavitating (like its sucking air) and it slowed to a crawl. didn't seem to matter what engine speed I was running at it would just go really slow. I thought maybe I was taking on water and the ski was loading down. I limped it back to the launch and we pulled it out.

I took the seat off and things were dry. Fired it up and it ran fine. proceeded to crawl under the trailer and look for any blockage in the intake but that was clean. Decided to toss it back in the water and it fired up great in the water, made sure water was coming at the small line behind the seat and it was. shut it off, pushed off and fired it up again. Took off and it was running great again for maybe a minute or so and then slowly I started to feel it drag till it would only move at a crawl again. Once again, limped it back to the launch and pulled it out.

When I got home a few hours later I checked the compression and both cylinders are at 125. Not great but it would fire up in the water and was running great just felt like something was "slipping" almost. I'm still kind of new to Seadoos but i've worked on a lot of cars and motorcycles over the years and I would aquate the feel to that of a clutch slipping but I know there are no clutches here.

What should i be looking for? A stripped shaft? worn out wear ring? It seems to be an issue that as things heat up, it fails.

Drawing a blank here but I know this community is smart and should at least have a place to start.

Thanks!

Justin

I'd go for wear ring issues. If it is the wear ring and you fix it.... be prepared for it to be difficult to start in the water. :) A worn wear ring does not off full resistance to starting. Good LUck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back