'96 GTX Cooling questions

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ckrawiec

Yesterday while getting the ski squared away (carb issues...finally resolved)....I was running the ski on a garden hose and realized the ski was not really flowing water like it should, the exhaust pipe was getting hot. I shut the ski down but NOT the garden hose.

I pulled the water supply hose from the rear of the ski that connects directly to the cylinder head, assuming I'd get wet and I was ready for it....BUT NO.....No water coming out of the hose.....strange. Upon inspection...the hose was clogged with vegetation, so I poked at with a small screwdriver picking and wedging at it...UNTIL a plug of green schmutz shot out of the hose followed by nice clean water. Shut the hose off, reconnected everything, started the ski and turned on the water......the ski started peeing a nice stream right out the back of the ski....it had never done that before. The exhaust pipe was soon cool to the touch.....the ski was happy again.

This raised a question in my mind.....Is the rear water inlet supposed to be open to the RAW water (lake, river, ocean) with absolutely NO pre-filtration? That seems like a recipe for a disaster. Is there a SeaDoo MALE screw in filter (garden hose fitting) that belongs there?.... outboard of the ski?

NOTE: A while back, I bought a water transfer pump from Harbor Freight and it came with this little (male garden hose screen) that goes on the inlet side of the pump hose....I thought THAT would be absolutely perfect for a SeaDoo raw water prefilter.....it would certainly keep out the bigger schmutz from getting sucked into the cylinder head.

Also, how the heck does the water pressure regulating valve come apart? I can get the cap off, the spring under the cap comes out, but I can't get the rest of the guts to release (they spin freely and move slightly up and down, but won't come loose....and I didn't want to apply too much muscle or toolage in there until I have new parts or better knowledge).

Thoughts?

No, when you are running on the hose you are actually running the cooling system in reverse to flush out any debris. That threaded hose fitting on the back of the ski is actually an outlet when running in the water and is calibrated so do not block it or reduce it's size. Just leave it open as it is.

OH, so you are telling me that all the green schmutz may have passed through the engine and plugged the line (exactly opposite of what I thought). I know the garden hose was clear flowing BEFORE I hooked up to the ski so it didn't come from there......hmmmm interesting.

So, where does the ski get its cooling water from and is it "filtered"....doesn't seem so. Just something to keep an eye on then I guess.....

It comes from the jet pump. It is really rare for them to plug unless you are running ir really dirty water.

Thanks btw...most helpful!
It comes from the jet pump. It is really rare for them to plug unless you are running ir really dirty water.
My water is EXTREMELY HIGH again this year and very turbid.....I am not shocked that the pluggage formed....just surprised.....I'll be watching that hose in the future.

You can get a strainer that goes on the inside of the ski on the inlet hose but you have to watch that too because it can plug pretty quick.

The best bet is to look at the "pisser" often when riding so you know you have flow. This is also why having a wording beeper is so important since it is your overheating alarm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back