RESTO 96 Challenger cosmetic resto project

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Shoot I hope it did not get crossed when you were swapping battery wires. The bilge has an automatic sensor so it runs for a few seconds when connected and shuts off on it's own if does not sense water.

Look in the black e-box for the 15 amp fuse. If not there then check the fuses in the grey box on the MPEM itself in the grey box.

I'm dumb lol I forgot to reattach the top plug on the black ebox after putting battery back in. I had detached it to get it at the way. All fixed, I was nervous as hell!

11.jpg

Can't say I feel too bright after this one

Hey nice boat! :) glad to see other people restoring these, they truly are a blast out there. To get your vinyl to hug the shape better, you have to use heat. Not sure if a hair dryer will work as I've never done it (yet), but it may be in my future. I have the same boat, but a 97. My seats are in okay shape, only a couple tears. I too plan to repaint what I can and reupholster the little while seat cushions, as white vinyl is cheap and easy to put on. What kind of vinyl paint are you using?

With your stereo down there, I suggest you never do the submarine trick. Also, I ripped off my reverse bucket once doing it, but it was really awesome while it lasted lol. If you ever do do that move, you will get water almost up to the seat. It's no biggie, it just goes into your engine bay and gets bailed out, but it is a fun way to cool off on a hot day.

My engine blew up like 4 times in my challenger and I finally gave up on the 787. I'm putting a 4tec in it. Check it out http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?69006-Challenger-4tec-Upgrade

Also, forgot to tell you, I too replaced my exhaust bellows and they only lasted like a year. I would silicone the crap out of that whole area on the outside. Use clear silicone and no-one will ever know. Also, I had a teeeny tiny leak around the weedless system. I had to pull apart that aluminum block that bolts onto the pump tunnel. I siliconed the crap out of that too to get rid of the cavitation it was causing. Lastly and probably most importantly, check that hose that comes of the rear of the engine. It's the thin cooling house that comes off the T and fits to your muffler. I had a small rock jammed in the middle during that that hose attaches to. I think that may have been causing my bad luck with the 787. I was able to blow that rock out with compressed air, so if I were you, I'd check it and blow into it for good measure ;-)
Oh, and I got replacement struts from AutoZone for my rear hatch. They're not 100% exact, but work wonderfully. Aaaand (I promise this is the last thing), if you ever want to get an amp to out yell the boat at wot, I can tell you where you can mount a 10" enclosed subwoofer on this boat. Hint: it's not next to the engine ;-)

Weird, works for me

Just search 295100021 that's the parts number and he has it listed under that "storage bag"

Far cry but figured id ask

Had to dig to find this thread! I'll be deployed again this summer but I have to take this boat out at least once, and I wanna look good doing it....so I'm back at the resto.

Had a hell of a time trying to get a markup of the bow seat. The marine grade plastic I ordered for the seat came with a big clear sticky on the side for it's label, so I used this to retrace the shape and drill holes. Once I had a rough....and I mean rough!...outline traced on the plastic, I started cutting. Began with skill saw and a dremel, it was taking too long so I switched to my angle grinder lol a few hiccups later and I have my base. It's a little lumpy and misshapen but it works. Now I just need foam and vinyl. Any suggestions on color? White green or purple

With skill saw and dremel

198.jpg

Finished product with plastic "tree" screws in

199.jpg

You'll probably be okay with the shape once you wrap it with foam, but if you really want, you can smooth the plastic shape out with a grinder/flapdisk or even a sanding block. Just be careful with the grinder, they're hungry for that soft polymer!

Yeah I got a little too eager with the grinder trying to round it off, definitely loves to eat. I think it'll work find once wrapped like you said. Picking up marine vinyl and foam tomorrow.

Fat tiny I think imma go purple.. my back rest is seadoo green, my other seat Is green and silver, and my 3seater is all white at the moment. I'm just all messed up, but I love having gaudy colors lol Im not a fan of the white on white

Yeah I got a little too eager with the grinder trying to round it off, definitely loves to eat. I think it'll work find once wrapped like you said. Picking up marine vinyl and foam tomorrow.

Fat tiny I think imma go purple.. my back rest is seadoo green, my other seat Is green and silver, and my 3seater is all white at the moment. I'm just all messed up, but I love having gaudy colors lol Im not a fan of the white on white
Oh I'm definitely down with purple, that said, it's your boat, only you have to be happy with it :p

Wrapped it today. A little ripply up front but overall I'm happy with it. Now I just need to paint it with vinyl spray, they only had this teal color at the store
262.jpg

I would, it matches better than purple would, and you have the peace of mind that people aren't going to dye their bathing suits when they ride in your boat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back