951 Engine FAQ Best practices ???

If you have owned a carbed 951 was it a good engine for you?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Ok, but like your Ex, You better keep an eye on her or ELSE she blows up!

• Total voters
Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

cbraley1

Hi, All. FAQ from the forums about the 951 engine. Please add to or correct me if I'm off base on any of these points. I have a 2002 sportster w/ a single carbed 951.
I have read that it needs lots of encouragement to stay well behaved.

Basics
1. High quality Non ethanol fuel.
2. An oil pump deleted will stop pump failure from ruining your engine. (mine was rebuilt by the previous owner b/c of that and the oil pump deleted)
3. Use only the highest quality crankcase and 2 cycle oil. Synthetic only.
4. Use fogging oil after each use and don't let the engine drink any water. (especially after happy hour)
5. This engine runs lean so better to go a bit more rich to be on the safe side. IE spark plugs are cheap. Engines not so much.
6. In the 951 a carb is much better than a DI direct inject engine.
7. Always keep the oil changed and plugs in good condition. (A given, but more so with this engine)

Questions
1. What do you guys recommend for a high quality 2 cycle premix oil. I like to save $, but not at the cost of the engine.
2. What is the sweet spot for mix ratios? 40:1?
3. Best gas recommendations? Just regular non-E gas? Should I use an octane booster or just higher octane gas? I am in the Southeast US.
4. Any preference for plugs? Or just OEM? Standard gap?
5. Tips? tricks or secrets? Mods? Additives or procedures that have helped this engine last? I won't tell...

How many hours can we expect out of the engine reasonably?

Thanks in Advance
Clay in SC

Attachments

• 2002 sportster.png
    2002 sportster.png
    91.3 KB · Views: 7
Hi, All. FAQ from the forums about the 951 engine. Please add to or correct me if I'm off base on any of these points. I have a 2002 sportster w/ a single carbed 951.
I have read that it needs lots of encouragement to stay well behaved.

Basics
1. High quality Non ethanol fuel. Just standard 87 octane, non-ethanol is better
2. An oil pump deleted will stop pump failure from ruining your engine. (mine was rebuilt by the previous owner b/c of that and the oil pump deleted) No, the oil pump and system are super reliable and should not be removed.
3. Use only the highest quality crankcase and 2 cycle oil. Synthetic only. There is no crankcase oil, its a 2-stroke. Just use API-TC rated full synthetic.
4. Use fogging oil after each use and don't let the engine drink any water. (especially after happy hour)Yes, fog after every ride.
5. This engine runs lean so better to go a bit more rich to be on the safe side. IE spark plugs are cheap. Engines not so much. It will run fine at stock settings as long as you keep the carbs and fuel system clean.
6. In the 951 a carb is much better than a DI direct inject engine. Not better but easier to diagnose and repair for the average Joe.
7. Always keep the oil changed and plugs in good condition. (A given, but more so with this engine) Again, no oil to change, it's a 2-stroke. Only oil to service is the balance shaft oil every couple of seasons.

Questions
1. What do you guys recommend for a high quality 2 cycle premix oil. I like to save $, but not at the cost of the engine. Seadoo XPS or Amsoil Interceptor.
2. What is the sweet spot for mix ratios? 40:1? No need to premix, just run the oil injection.
3. Best gas recommendations? Just regular non-E gas? Should I use an octane booster or just higher octane gas? I am in the Southeast US. No additives, just fresh 87 octane.
4. Any preference for plugs? Or just OEM? Standard gap? Standard NGK BR8ES.
5. Tips? tricks or secrets? Mods? Additives or procedures that have helped this engine last? I won't tell...No, just clean fuel system and the correct oil.

How many hours can we expect out of the engine reasonably? All depends on maintenance and water ingestion, for a well maintained one with the correct oil 200+ hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back