91 seadoo sp running lean problem

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cory_mr2

Ok guys new to this never post on forums before, but anyways iv about given up on this SP.. I'll start with the whole back story, bought this jet ski knowing it needed work guy said could ride for about 15 min then would run horrible and not get up on plane. So bought it cheap took it home drained fuel, replaced with fresh fuel and oil mix and took to lake close by and ran awesome with no issues till about 10 to 15 min in then did what he said, so figured the coil issue. Got a used coil, I'm guessing it's called the cdi box and regulator. Installed the coil and cdi. Started it up on just trailer and seemed really buggy just trying to rev it up, also there is no intake baffle on the intake. So took the cdi box back off and replaced it back with old one same thing.. so took carb apart looked clean no stuff in filter and rebuilt it with new kit. Installed same issue. Said screw it and bought a brand new super bn carb for it. Same issue.. boggy giving it throttle on trailer. no grey fuel lines all replaced, bypassed the inline filter and the selector switch to the line from RES straight to carb and still boggy. Also noticed that if I cover the intake with my hand till it's just little slit it will rev up fine but I also have the low adjuster turned out quite a bit and I know it should be like turn and 1/4 or out. Took to lake with intake covered and ran it around and at about 25% to 30% throttle felt choppy and missing but after was fine and ran pretty good. Then about 25 min or so in at WOT it was cutting out bad and ran horrible at full throttle. Pulled plugs and still looked lean (brand new plugs before ride) so Loaded it up and took it back home.. I am at total loss on what to do next, also compression is at 146 and 148. Also heard about crank seals being bad and making it lean but didnt seam to have issue when I first got it and tested it. Sorry for super long post I'm just about done and about to take it to a shop but I know the skis not with spending all the money. What I need to know it why is it running lean and also cutting out at top end and kinda midrange.

Ok guys new to this never post on forums before, but anyways iv about given up on this SP.. I'll start with the whole back story, bought this jet ski knowing it needed work guy said could ride for about 15 min then would run horrible and not get up on plane. So bought it cheap took it home drained fuel, replaced with fresh fuel and oil mix and took to lake close by and ran awesome with no issues till about 10 to 15 min in then did what he said, so figured the coil issue. Got a used coil, I'm guessing it's called the cdi box and regulator. Installed the coil and cdi. Started it up on just trailer and seemed really buggy just trying to rev it up, also there is no intake baffle on the intake. So took the cdi box back off and replaced it back with old one same thing.. so took carb apart looked clean no stuff in filter and rebuilt it with new kit. Installed same issue. Said screw it and bought a brand new super bn carb for it. Same issue.. boggy giving it throttle on trailer. no grey fuel lines all replaced, bypassed the inline filter and the selector switch to the line from RES straight to carb and still boggy. Also noticed that if I cover the intake with my hand till it's just little slit it will rev up fine but I also have the low adjuster turned out quite a bit and I know it should be like turn and 1/4 or out. Took to lake with intake covered and ran it around and at about 25% to 30% throttle felt choppy and missing but after was fine and ran pretty good. Then about 25 min or so in at WOT it was cutting out bad and ran horrible at full throttle. Pulled plugs and still looked lean (brand new plugs before ride) so Loaded it up and took it back home.. I am at total loss on what to do next, also compression is at 146 and 148. Also heard about crank seals being bad and making it lean but didnt seam to have issue when I first got it and tested it. Sorry for super long post I'm just about done and about to take it to a shop but I know the skis not with spending all the money. What I need to know it why is it running lean and also cutting out at top end and kinda midrange.
Check every bolt on the rotary cover and going all the way up to the carb, I had a slight lean hesitation because my rotary cover was loose allowing air to escape in making it lean, it would also run away from me on the trailer. I know it's not an extreme case like yours but anything is possible, I would assume something is loose because it starts happening after 15 minutes when everything has heated up and expanded

Just checked all the bolts and they are all tight, got just hair turn out of one. Retested still same. So just swapped old coil and another rectifier, still same. I'm guessing crank seal is only other thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back