2012 Seadoo 210 Wake Shifter Issue

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris0260

Hi,

The shifter on my 2012 Seadoo 210 wake is very stiff to engage, then has a lot of play. The issue is specific to the mechanical portion of the shift that controls the neutral/reverse gates; the throttle itself is very smooth.

Here is a short clip (you can see the play/give in the shifter at the 4-5 second mark):
Dropbox - IMG_1392.MOV

Does anyone else have the same issue? I had a tech look at it and he told me that the stiffness and play are both normal. Can anyone confirm if this is actually the case?

Thank you,

Chris

We have a 2010 210 challenger.... Its a little hard to tell in the video but yes the initial movement of the throttle is rather stiff and does take a little getting use to and seems consistent with your video. Once the mechanical portion of the bucket movement completes (forward or reverse) the throttle frees up.

I do spray the linkage and all rotating/moving point at the rear of the boat with Sea Doo Lube every so often after a trip out. Not sure this helps any but why not.

Thank you very much for your input. Good point on the lube - I will need to start doing the same. Thanks again.

if the pivot of the reverse gates get dirty they will get stiff, typically they need to be taken apart and cleaned, with the shifter in neutral you should be able to move the reverse gates fairly easily, if they are stiff to move you could try spraying them but they will work much better if you take them apart and clean them, if your reverse gates are free and the shifter is still stiff it would likely be your reverse cable, they have a stainless steel cable that runs through a plastic liner, once the plastic liner wears out they get really stiff and usually end up breaking.

This is true, but I have found my boat to have some degree of stiffness when the buckets move. This feel was very similar feel to my now sold 2004 Sea Doo pwc with the manual reverse bucket. My cable is free as well as the buckets. I guess if there is a concern, disconnect the buckets and move the buckets on their own as well as the throttle.

If you ever step into a new brp powered boat with electric bucket movement you will be amazed at the nice fluid movement of the throttle..

Last edited:
Our 2012 210 is the same way. Fairly stiff getting it out of neutral, but loosens up afterwards. Been like that since the day we got her.

the initial movement is stiffer because you are moving the reverse buckets, once the buckets get into the forward or reverse position the shifter only moves the throttle position sensor. if your shifter is no stiffer now than when it was new then all is good but when the reverse gates get sticky because they are dirty it will put more pressure on the reverse cable and wear it out quicker, that is what needs to be identified because if you don't realize it is stiffer than it should be you could end up breaking the cable when you are not expecting it and that could cause a dangerous situation.

Thanks everyone for your input. I bought the boat last fall, so I didn't have any point of reference. Once you get past the initial stiffness of moving the buckets, it's ok.

The throttle does get completely loose for a small portion of the shift, right after the buckets are engaged (see 4-5 seconds into the video where the throttle moves back and forth about an inch). Do you guys also have that issue?

I'd say your video is commensurate with how my 2010 C210 works. If youve ever driven an inboard prop boat it is similar to how you have to "put it into gear." Those boats will then start "idling in gear" rather than neutral. With the jet boat the reverse gate is in place in "neutral" mode to keep the boat idling in place and then when you move the throttle forward to move the reverse gates up and out of the way (putting it in "gear") you start idling in gear. I love that unlike an inboard our boats will still turn while in "neutral."

I'd agree...once the buckets stop moving there is some free play in the shifter before it starts advancing the throttle.

when I first got my wake 210 I had the same issue, took the buckets off and the sleeves in the buckets were corroded to the bucket, broke them loose and greased them and its been much smoother since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back