2012 challenger taking on water sitting in slip

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Waterbug13

I just bought this 210 a month or so ago, boat runs great but I took it to dale hollow over labor day weekend. I rented a slip to keep it at night and after a few hours it would have some water.in the ski locker. I noticed the next morning each day as I would step in the back of the boat the bilge pump would kick on. I would check the ski locker and there would be.water.in it. It was always dry each night I parked it and everything was.dry running down the lake. It was just the two of us so no water sports just cruising and floating. I have been told it could be the carbon seal but wouldn't they leak while you are running? Thanks for tips to check

How much water was in the engine compartment? Ski locker should be draining into rear bilge through the hole in the rear of the ski locker compartment.

Carbon seals could easily be leaking or the bellows. You may want to take her out for a ride and put some eyes on the seal and bellows. You can lay a camera down there to see what's going on if you can't see it from above.

By morning and this is not knowing if the bilge pumped any water out over the night or not. But the water was no enough in the bilge that when I stepped on the rear deck the bilge would kick on. I would say the water was a little over the drain tube at the back of the locker. But I never had any water in any of it while I was out all day because I would check them from time to time. I would think and I could be wrong but from what I've seen on you tube on the carbon seal it would leak more while running the boat then when it sits. It's been raining here so much and the boats in my driveway so I haven't been able to check it good yet. I did get a endoscope camera on ebay that hooks to your phone to look under everything when I can. But I will get it figured out one way or another. I hope it's not the carbon seal as those don't look fun to change out and all I can find on YouTube is for jet skis but I'm sure the same principle

It's been raining here so much and the boats in my driveway so I haven't been able to check it good yet.

Could it be due to the rain? Is the boat covered? Does the cover leak? There's a drain in rear starboard corner of the locker opening. If rainwater is getting, then it will more than likely go into the ski locker through this drain. Cockpit also has a drain in the same rear starboard corner as well.

Do you notice any wet carpet/flooring when you open the boat?

Being that the boat was more than likely level while moored in the slip, any water getting into the locker would stay here simply due to the angle. If the water was over the drain hole, then the drain may be plugged. You could try spraying the hose through the opening to make sure it's not clogged.

I only got caught in a storm once on the lake and it was brief as I seen it coming and hauled ass to the slip, but my slip was covered I rented for the weekend. I did also put a mooring g cover on it each night when done. As far as it being water proof no that's why I bought one of the poppy covers to help keep it clean and dry when in the driveway and stuff. I have noticed when I cleaned and washed the boat inside when I first got it that the locker would always fill up and drain real slow. I have sprayed water in the drain to open it up and that did help.
Its supposed to finally stop raining this week so I can hopefully get in there and check around. I did look at what I could on the lake with the motor running and really didn't see anything. As far as the carpet getting wet I threw the carpet in the.main part away it looked like it was 20 yrs old and half the snaps were gone. That I plan on replacing with seadeck if I don't trade the boat at the fall boat show for a.scarab if I find this needs more then I want to put into it. I'm not afraid of fixing everything myself but I've learned with boats that if you have to many issues it's time to replace it and move on. I will do some looking this week and see what I find and post it.
Thanks again

I get water in my locker from time to time. It's usually due to rain or just water coming off as people get in and out of the boat.

If you had water in the rear bilge while she was moored, it could be possible that due to the rocking of the boat or just the flat position that some of the water drained back into the locker. The drain hole sits about 1/4" - 1/2" above the floor, so it takes the boat getting plane or raising the bow on the trailer to get the nose high enough to have the locker water drain back into the rear bilge where the pump will take care of it.

Research the new Scarab's. Not sure I'd opt for one after reading some of the issues they've had with both boat quality and dealer help. Both seem to be lacking compared to the SeaDoos. If you want to stick with the jetboat design, I'd check out brands as well.

Keep us posted on what you find moving forward.

I'm pretty sure it comes in sitting in water because everything is dry running down the lake and stuff. It's always after it sits for a few hours and I go check and there's water in the ski locker and bilge area till it gets hi enough to kick it on.
Yea I seen the stuff on the scarabs, the dealer we have sells Yamaha also and when I was.looking he told me they ordered 85 Yamaha boats and 3 scarabs and back in June they only had a couple Yamaha left and still had 2 scarabs left. He said everyone wants low maintenance and nobody wants to mess with the super charger on the seadoo engines. But I do like the looks of them over the Yamaha but I'm a tight ass when it comes to buying big stuff so odds are unless they have a used seadoo I will be fixing what I have.

Thought I saw something about the new super chargers being maintenance free. As in not needing rebuilds?
I’d like to read up more on these issues your discussing with the scarabs, do you have a link I can check it out @?

Thought I saw something about the new super chargers being maintenance free. As in not needing rebuilds?
I’d like to read up more on these issues your discussing with the scarabs, do you have a link I can check it out @?

I believe that is for new 300 HP seadoos and not ours, but maybe someone else can chime in as well.

As for the Scarab issues, check out the Scarab section of jetboaters.net

If I were to get another jetboat, I'd go with a Yamaha or Chaparral.

I took the boat again today finally, she's still taking on water but I haven't found were just yet. I guess I am going to have to pull the air cleaners and get in deeper and see if I can see a.water trail somewere. Has anyone had the jets leak or anytning? The billows and stuff from what I can see look new. Winter project I guess as long as I can fit it in the garage.

I took the boat again today finally, she's still taking on water but I haven't found were just yet. I guess I am going to have to pull the air cleaners and get in deeper and see if I can see a.water trail somewere. Has anyone had the jets leak or anytning? The billows and stuff from what I can see look new. Winter project I guess as long as I can fit it in the garage.

There have been reported issues of these boats taking on water at the upper and lower hull seams. I know mine has a bead of silicon below the rubrail from the windshield back to the transom.

Maybe the drain plug O-ring?

Well anything is possible I guess it had about a gallon or so in it when I pulled the plug. I changed out the drain plug assm because it's plastic and they broke the housing so I put a brass one in and sealed it all up tight around it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back