2012 Challenger 180 SP Crank No Start

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

SamDooSea

Hey All - Looking for a bit of troubleshooting guidance for a hard to start challenger 180 SP when cold. It takes between 5/10/more pushes of the ignition button to start the boat. Battery is fully charged. Haven't had it not start at all yet but getting nervous thats where this is headed... The engine starts up totally fine anytime after it gets to temp. Only when cold. When i inspected around in the main electronics one of the relays was very hot to the touch (sign that its going bad?). Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Questions:

1.. To summarize, you press the button and it cranks but does not start?
2.. When you press the button, does it always turn over?
3.. How quickly does it turn over?
4.. Will it continue to turn over if you hold the button?
5.. You mention that in the end it will start?
6.. You mention that some electronics are getting hot? Have some photos of what is hot?
7.. You mention, once started and warm this doesn't happen? So only when cold?

1.. To summarize, you press the button and it cranks but does not start?
- Yes that is correct, cranks, but does not fire.
2.. When you press the button, does it always turn over?
- Yes it always turns over
3.. How quickly does it turn over?
- Turns over at what sounds like normal cranking speed.
4.. Will it continue to turn over if you hold the button?
- It will stop cranking after 8-10 cranks, but will go immediately again if i hit the button
5.. You mention that in the end it will start?
- Yes eventually it will start up, this has recently started happening so I haven't had any issues however I imagine it will eventually end in a no start situation...
6.. You mention that some electronics are getting hot? Have some photos of what is hot?
- It is the largest black relay in Fuse Box 1 - I think it is the starter relay?
7.. You mention, once started and warm this doesn't happen? So only when cold?
- Once started and warm, I have had no issues getting it restarted, so only when cold.

Ok,

So now we just need to figure out what is missing, spark or fuel. When you first put the key on the post, do you hear the fuel pump cycle?

The easiest way to check for fuel vs. spark is to use the fogging port and spray some starting fluid in there while cranking. If it catches, you have spark. If nothing changes, you don't.

If you have no spark, I would check the grounds on the block and the ECU. Beyond that, it would be most likely internal to the ECU.

If it does start with the starting fluid, you have no fuel. I would start with the connectors on the fuel pump. These are on top of the fuel tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back