2008 180 Challenger SE bilge pump shot? Help!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

seadoomichael

So I got my boat home from the shop and noticed that the bilge pump was running, and running, and running. Well it probably sat overnight, and it rained, so I go to vaccum out the bilge. I vaccum out a couple gallons and still, it runs runs runs. No water was visible coming out the exit hole or in the bilge. The only way to get the bilge pump to stop is to disconnect it.

Clearly there is something wrong with the water sensor as the pump "works". Is there anything I can do short of "tapping on it" which was suggested or replacing the whole pump "system" (at a cost of $350 parts and labor)? It looks really difficult to get to also....

Thanks guys,
Michael

Last edited by a moderator:
Update 1

Since nobody has chimed in here, I'm going to go ahead and "blog" my progress on this issue so that it might help others.

First thing I did is figure out how this system works. There is a red pump on the left and an automatic switch mounted to the right. Since the pump is running (good), continuously (bad), I assumed the problem lies in the automatic switch. First thing I did was pull the big black switch box.

Seadoo Johnson Pump.jpg

This is a Johnson Pumps of America 36303 Ultima Auto Bilge switch:
http://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Ameri...RF1K/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1302992185&sr=8-6

And it's full of water sloshing around inside of it. I assume this is a bad thing since it's supposedly "sealed". So I ordered a new one for 37 bucks on Amazon. I'll keep you posted as to whether this does the trick.

Michaelb

Update 2

So I received the part from Amazon and tested it out yesterday. Everything now works properly. Pump shuts on and off as it should. Saved myself several hundred bucks.

Here's something interesting though. In reading the manual for the automatic switch, the mounting instructions say "DO NOT mount the switch directly to the boat hull". You are supposed to epoxy a piece of 3/4 inch ply to the hull and then mount the switch to that. My switch came from the factory mounted directly to the hull. Me thinks that could be the reason why it failed so quickly? I wonder where else they cut corners??? Something to check on your boats boys...

Michaelb

I had to replace my sensor last year

Here is the information about my experience.

http://www.jetboating.net/jetboating/common/forums/threadview.aspx?forumid=-1&page=1&threadid=15336

There is a small gap at the bottom of the sensor, when water gets in between, it completes the circuit and the pump turns on. I have read that cleaning the bottom of the sensor can fix the issue. My issue was that it wasn't turning on. I replaced the sensor and so far it is working fine.

Any questions, let me know.

dootndo2

What? Sea Doo cutting corners?? Say it isn't so! I am not in the least bit surprised. I have the same '08 Challenger 180 SE and it has seen more shop time than lake time. The dealer found the fiberglass around the driveshaft was defective (had air bubbles in it) and had to be cut out and re-glassed. I had to have the super charger rebuilt at only 60 hours. The latest issue: cam chain broke which basically destroyed the engine. It only had 74 hours on it! I haven't gotten it back from the dealer yet but when I do I'll probably just use it for the rest of this season and then sell it and move on to something more reliable. I like the style and design of the boat but if it's going to breakdown every other week it is useless junk to me.

I say this with the utmost delicacy rgrinch: is it possible that you might have a bad shop on your hands? Have you gotten second opinions for these issues or used another shop out of curiosity? I'm asking because the fiberglass/driveshaft leak issue doesn't make any sense to me. Especially in lieu of the fact that most (90%) feel that the water in bilge issue is "normal". Just asking the question.... :)

Is your Seadoo under warranty or are you paying for most of this stuff?

I have been going to the only Sea Doo Boat authorized dealer/repair facility in central Tennessee. After the 4.5 month ordeal with the fiberglass repair issue I didn't want anything to do with that shop but they've got you by the short hairs. The next authorized boat repair shop is at least two hours away and I didn't feel like driving over 4 hours roundtrip.

I agree that water in the bilge is normal but I don't think the storage locker being full of water should be normal. I couldn't put anything in it without it being soaked and covered with algae all the time.

The fiberglass work was done under warranty. The super charger parts were provided under warranty but not the labor. The remanufactured engine is being replaced "under warranty" even though it expired 2.5 months ago. I guess Sea Doo realized that a broken cam chain at only 74 hours was a bit premature so they decided to do the right thing. Bottom line: I have not been impressed with the quality of their product. I have never seen any engine (car, boat, motorcycle, plane, etc) fail with so little operating time on it.

Mechanical malfunctions happen. I have a GM truck that is less than a year old that the engine packed in. The true litmus test is how the dealer and manufacturer deal with it. It sounds as though BRP has looked after you, yeah it sucks..... but your boat was repaired out of warranty they covered your SC parts. I hope that the 74 hours that you put on were a blast. I also think that if you look at any other boating forum you will find situations that are similar to yours. I hope that you decide to stay with the Doo cause they are a blast. If you decide to sell I wish you happy boating.

I have been going to the only Sea Doo Boat authorized dealer/repair facility in central Tennessee. After the 4.5 month ordeal with the fiberglass repair issue I didn't want anything to do with that shop but they've got you by the short hairs. The next authorized boat repair shop is at least two hours away and I didn't feel like driving over 4 hours roundtrip.

I agree that water in the bilge is normal but I don't think the storage locker being full of water should be normal. I couldn't put anything in it without it being soaked and covered with algae all the time.

The fiberglass work was done under warranty. The super charger parts were provided under warranty but not the labor. The remanufactured engine is being replaced "under warranty" even though it expired 2.5 months ago. I guess Sea Doo realized that a broken cam chain at only 74 hours was a bit premature so they decided to do the right thing. Bottom line: I have not been impressed with the quality of their product. I have never seen any engine (car, boat, motorcycle, plane, etc) fail with so little operating time on it.

Did you ever get your boat fixed? If yes, how is it running now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back