2005 RXP - Lost rpms after start

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

zippcarlson

Hi,

I am really hoping someone here can help me with a problem I am having with my 2005 Seadoo RXP.

I have two 05 RXP's and after pulling them out from the winter one of them is running great, the other is giving me a lot of problems.

Here is the problem:
When starting the engine cold the unit starts fine ( new battery from the dealer) and the rpms at idle run about 1800 and the unit sounds fine. On the first start I can give it some gas and the rpms jump and performance seems normal. After a few minutes the rpms begin to drop to around 1000 and the unit runs really rough. After the rpms drop off subsequent starts result in low rpms and stalling upon applying any gas whatsoever. Each time I start it, it sounds fine for a few seconds before going to rough and the eventual stall.

I have performed the following in order:

Replaced all the spark plugs - After replacing the spark plugs the unit ran great for about 20 minutes before the symptoms arising again ( unfortunately while about a 1/2 mile from home with my kids in a tube behind me). We made it home but I had to continually restart the ski to get there and the idle was very rough at only about 1000 rpms.

Syphoned out all the old gas - Completely drained the tank and added 5 gallons of premium fuel to the ski. Starts fine but then bogs down after a few minutes of running. The gas I pulled out looked fine for the most part but there was some serious nasty at the very bottom of the tank. I got all of it out but still having the same problem after adding the new gas. I was able to run the unit for maybe 5 minutes at idle before the problem recurred.

If I let it sit for awhile and then go back I can get it ro run normal for another 5 to 10 minutes. Once warm the rpms fall off again and any application of throttle results in an immediate stall. I rechecked the new plugs and they still look fine.

Any thoughts on fuel lines or filters that may be clogged from the bad gas or anything else I might try to get this ski going? Is it possible that there is a problem with the fuel pump that works on the initial start but then is unable to maintain adequate fuel for some reason after it warms up? Is there a way to remove and check the fuel filter and the fuel pump? I noticed the fuel pump assembly is around $400 so I would like to verify that is a problem before replacing it. Any help/suggestions would be welcome.

Any help appreciated, I am really trying to avoid an expensive trip to the dealer at this point. I want to try everything I can before resulting to the dealer.

Thanks in advance.

Zipp

Sounds like the screen on the bottom of the fuel pump is clogged. You'll have to remove the pump to check it. Clean the bottom of your tank while you have the pump out.

DAWG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back