2004 Bombardier Utopia 205

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

ryno1978

So, I just inherited my father's 2004 Utopia. He purchased it new in 2004 and ran it for 3 seasons before parking it in the garage for the past 12 years. now I brought it to FL and took it to a shop to have the engine gone over before I try to put it in the water. the mechanic is telling me the fuel system is clogged and it may need a fuel pump. problem is, he is telling me that parts are virtually impossible to find because it's a 2004. I have searched the web and when I cross reference fuel pumps they only go back to 2009. the boat has a 240 merc in it. does anyone know the part number for the fuel pump? any suggestions on how I can do the job myself? is there any cleaner I can put through it to try to get it unclogged?

You have some work to do.

The VST (injector pump) needs to come off, disassemble, clean. The internal fuel pump is avail. from ebay for about $50. If you need a lift pump, again about $50 for a generic MARINE low pressure (7 psi) pump.

While the VST is off, consider injector service about $130 and well worth the cost considering they have not operated for 12 years. Order gaskets when you start the project.

I don't think any cleaner will work because the float needle in the VST is likely corroded in place (closed). In this case, nothing can get into the VST.

You have some work to do.

The VST (injector pump) needs to come off, disassemble, clean. The internal fuel pump is avail. from ebay for about $50. If you need a lift pump, again about $50 for a generic MARINE low pressure (7 psi) pump.

While the VST is off, consider injector service about $130 and well worth the cost considering they have not operated for 12 years. Order gaskets when you start the project.

I don't think any cleaner will work because the float needle in the VST is likely corroded in place (closed). In this case, nothing can get into the VST.

Tim, thank you for getting back to me on this. Can you direct me on where the VST is located? Also, where/what is the injector service?

The VST is a cast "tank", usually on the left side of the engine. Follow fuel lines, oil line, 2 small wires to it.

Injector service center will check, clean, calibrate your injectors. If you live in a big city, there is probably a shop. The throttle body has to come off. I remember 15 bolts. Injectors are inside. My engine, before: 5600rpm. After: 6300 rpm. And it uses LESS gas because 2 injectors were leaking.

The VST needs to come off to get the throttle body off.

Get the service book here, for d/l to members.

Tim - wow. I had no idea. My 250HP boat is running between 5600 and 5800 RPM. I thought that was peak. Incredible to hear that injector cleaning can produce that amount of upside. That's a good project. Thank you.

The VST is a cast "tank", usually on the left side of the engine. Follow fuel lines, oil line, 2 small wires to it.

Injector service center will check, clean, calibrate your injectors. If you live in a big city, there is probably a shop. The throttle body has to come off. I remember 15 bolts. Injectors are inside. My engine, before: 5600rpm. After: 6300 rpm. And it uses LESS gas because 2 injectors were leaking.

The VST needs to come off to get the throttle body off.

Get the service book here, for d/l to members.

Ok, so I put some fuel tank cleaner/rejuvenator in the tank and was able to pump out the approximate 2 gallons that were in the tank through the old filter and low pressure pump. Ive dissassembled and cleaned the vst. The high pressure fuel pump works (rigged up with my jump box to test it) I have a new needle valve too. Gasket will be here monday so I can put it all back together and try to start. Going to try running injector cleaner through to see if I can avoid pulling the injectors. Challenge I'm having is getting the vst back together. The pump wont go into the rubber at the bottom. Should I try a little oil to lube it or is there something Im doing wrong there?

Good news bad news. Got the fuel system cleaned out. Boat now starts and runs in driveway. Hooked up water to system so thats not issue but the guardian system is giving a constant beep after idling for about 2 minutes. Water co.ing out everywhere it is supposed to be. Any thoughts on what it could be? Or how to diagnose?

Ok, so I put some fuel tank cleaner/rejuvenator in the tank and was able to pump out the approximate 2 gallons that were in the tank through the old filter and low pressure pump. Ive dissassembled and cleaned the vst. The high pressure fuel pump works (rigged up with my jump box to test it) I have a new needle valve too. Gasket will be here monday so I can put it all back together and try to start. Going to try running injector cleaner through to see if I can avoid pulling the injectors. Challenge I'm having is getting the vst back together. The pump wont go into the rubber at the bottom. Should I try a little oil to lube it or is there something Im doing wrong there?
Injector cleaner won't help, at least it did not for me when I tried it on I injectors removed.

The cleaner is a solvent that dissolves the oil in the gas. Potential engine damage.

Good news bad news. Got the fuel system cleaned out. Boat now starts and runs in driveway. Hooked up water to system so thats not issue but the guardian system is giving a constant beep after idling for about 2 minutes. Water co.ing out everywhere it is supposed to be. Any thoughts on what it could be? Or how to diagnose?
Is water coming out of the pee hole? If not, you don't have enough water flow. Yes, it is normal for water to come out of the pump both ends, both exhausts, and pee hole. No pee hole flow could also be bug blockage. They love to build in such places. You may be overheating.

En
Is water coming out of the pee hole? If not, you don't have enough water flow. Yes, it is normal for water to come out of the pump both ends, both exhausts, and pee hole. No pee hole flow could also be bug blockage. They love to build in such places. You may be overheating.

Engine doesn't look to be overheating. Water coming out everywhere it is supposed to.

So, took it to mechanic, ran diagnostics, couldnt replicate issue. Did see where at some point in the 51 hrs on this engine on of the cylinders overheated. Gave it back to me. Dropped it in and ran like a champ. Until I got in some weeds and spoiled the day, had to get towed in. Got it home cleaned it out and ready to go again. Wondering if weeds did any damage. Here is a photo of after

Attachments

• 20190718_224337.jpg
    20190718_224337.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 27
Weeds or seaweed usually does no damage. The leading edges of your impeller look good. No dings.
Damage is usually from rocks that are sucked up from running in water that is too shallow.This is what damages the impeller blades. Do you have an intake grate?

Weeds or seaweed usually does no damage. The leading edges of your impeller look good. No dings.
Damage is usually from rocks that are sucked up from running in water that is too shallow.This is what damages the impeller blades. Do you have an intake grate?

Yes there is a grate. I removed it to clean the seaweed. Any tricks on clearing a clog on the water? I have thought of a snorkel mask and small air tank so I can put the time in underneath but wasn't sure if anyone had any other tricks.

If you have so much weeds in there that you need a tank-- WOW! You are really mowing the grass!

It normally only builds on the back edge of the intake tunnel and comes out with a couple of grabs with your hand.

It was discontinued because it caused more damage than it prevented.

How about a pvc pipe with some teeth cut ito the end. Reach under from the swim deck.

there are a couple useful tricks on weeds in the grate if you don't want to go for a underwater swim. My water is so dirty i cant see even when under the boat. If i get in the water face the front of the boat while holding the swim platform with my hands, my toes can feel the total grate and work the stuff free usually. I'm 5/10. Once you notice the loss of power at rpm crank the wheel left, leave the throttle in full open mode and shut off the key. The will float the boat on its momentum and stop the suction through the impeller. Sometimes this will break weeds free. In the end it usually requires getting wet if you want to salvage the day. I've noticed that teenage boys like doing this. So get one of those.

forgot to say i have impeller edges jealousy. that impeller is very clean. This boat must be like new.

Thanks for all the replies. I will not be returning to this particular lake since it is so grassy. I will try the pvc idea. This thing was so snarled up the only way I was getting it clean was to spend some time underneath ripping weeds.

Attachments

• 20190718_224018.jpg
    20190718_224018.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 19
forgot to say i have impeller edges jealousy. that impeller is very clean. This boat must be like new.

Thanks, dad had it in for 3 seasons and only put 51 hrs on it. He really babied it. The whole boat is like new. This is why Im being so neurotic

Attachments

• 20190721_153803.jpg
    20190721_153803.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 21
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back