2003 Utopia Jet Drive Ring Repair and Impeller Replacement

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel D

I've read about people using JB weld to repair wear rings.

On this Utopia it seems as though there is no replaceable wear ring. I'm getting cavitation and want to fix the inner surface of the ring while I'm replacing the impeller. I can see spots where there is pitting.

Anyone fixed a wear ring like this before? Any advice? JB weld original or Marine?

And anyone know where I can get instructions to replace my impeller? And the part number for the impeller removal tool?

Advice and answers greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
There are several threads here about repairing wear rings. Some use JB, I have used lightweight fiberglass cloth and epoxy resin. Been in service about 5 years since. Just remember to make sure the water holes in the bore are clear after repair.

Almost any repair will cost less than replacement-- if you can find one.

Should be instructions here for removing impeller. Straight forward, IF bolts are not corroded in place.
You will need the special socket for the impeller nut.

I can get seized fasteners off most things. I just want to have the right tools for the job when I pull it apart. I'm not sure what I'm gonna be looking at when I pull the stator off so that's why I was asking about a removal tool. If it's a special socket I need great but I can't find it. When I Google for it all I get is impeller "removal tools" for newer boats.

So once I remove the stator I can just crank off the nut with the correct socket? How am I gonna hold the drive shaft in place?

I'll look for a thread with instructions but I couldn't find it last time I looked. Maybe I missed it. I'll look again

Found a thread with the Mercury socket part number.

91-850297 not cheap though.

And how will I hold the shaft while I crank?

JUST AN FYI--- Impros actually repairs them with a stainless sleeve.
this is from the email i used....
Yes we can take your wear ring and sleeve it with a nice think stainless steel liner. Much better than the all aluminum housing. We charge $425.00 for this, and we would have it about 2 weeks.

We also sell a great aftermarket impeller for your boat. Here’s a link. You’d want the 22/39 pitch…

Impros Solas SeaDoo Concord Mercury

I seem to remember about $60 for my socket. Years ago. Check ebay.

Remove your grate. there are 2 flats on the shaft that you can use an adjustable wrench on. Takes 2 people. That nut is on TIGHT. 150 ft-#. Don't take off the WR yet. Shim under impeller blade so the down force of you wrench comes thru to the WR, not the gear box. Hopefully, your imp. will slide off its spline after you get the nut off. I do not recommend an impact wrench. It will hammer your gear box.

Thanks Tim.

I was looking at the Mercury parts catalog and was hoping that those were flats I saw on the shaft so thanks for confirming that.

I got maybe a week more of awesome weather so I'm just holding out until my friends visit next week so I'm trying to figure out everything before I tear it all apart.

It all seems so much simpler than rebuilding my Jeep. Just harder to find the right info sometimes. I'm loving this forum though. Can't say enough thanks to everyone helping me figure this stuff out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back