2003 GTI LE RFI Electrical

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
I am new to the Sea doo world and just picked up a 2003 GTI LE RFI off a guy that isn’t running. It has zero power going to the dash or D.E.S.S. The previous owner told me the MPEM was gone to I ordered a used(tested) one up from eBay and installed it yesterday along with brand new battery but still same thing.
I’m not into this thing for much money yet but I’m a little scared to take it to a dealer for something like electronics because we know how time consuming it can be. Just wondering if anyone here has had similar issues and some things I could check first before diving in too deep.

Thanks!

Usually dealers won't touch an old Sea-Doo. So, unless you know someone, you are going solo. I would check the connectors in the front (nose). I believe there are two Main ones up there behind the panel. Then check the connectors behind the dash area. There are four or five. Make sure they are connected correctly IAW the manual. If not, no power. If still a no go. Then get out your voltmeter and start chasing wires for power. The shop manual has a good electrical chart for troubleshooting. Good luck and keep us posted.

No, I don't think so. It gets power as soon as the DESS is plugged in not after the engine is started. Check the connectors up front. Unplug them and check for corrosion or a broken pin. Let me check the electrical flowchart. Be right back.

It gets power from both sides of the Starter Solenoid. Before and after start. A red wire (small gauge) from the starter solenoid goes to the "Cut-Off relay" to tell the Ski there is power. Check that fuse or relay. It may be bad or blown.

I have 12.8v on the “battery side of the starter selenoid. Nothing on the starter side, nothing coming from the plug on the bottom of the selenoid. The both fuses are good.

You could have a bad D.E.S.S. switch. Thus when you plug in the key, power is not provided to the cut off relay and then to the MPEM.

Thanks for all your help, I’ll try this tomorrow and keep you posted. The electrical on this thing is mind boggling, u would think for something used on water it would just have those basics! Haha
Again thanks so much for the help

Could also be a bad solenoid. I think you should have 12volts from the solenoids red wire to the cut-off relay at all times. It is the Cut-off relay which then shoots power to the MPEM when the key is inserted.

You could have a bad D.E.S.S. switch. Thus when you plug in the key, power is not provided to the cut off relay and then to the MPEM.
I thought I read if it was the post and u pushed the start button u would get a couple beeps? Maybe that was the key, I’ve read so many posts I’m losing my mind!

Could also be a bad solenoid. I think you should have 12volts from the solenoids red wire to the cut-off relay at all times. It is the Cut-off relay which then shoots power to the MPEM when the key is inserted.
I read a post here from 2011 where guy had same issue and it was the plug from the selenoid to the mpem but it didn’t say if he had 12 bolts from the plug all the time. I have nothing reading on that probe on the selenoid so I was suspecting it was that

So I’ve tried everything in the world possible and no further ahead, now I’m wondering if the mpem the guy sold me on ebay is the right one….. are all RFI MPEM interchangeable? I specified what make year and model I had and he assured me it would fit but man this thing is like dead with no sign of life no matter what I try or do. Totally regret ever buying this POS that’s for sure. Let’s say my first sea doo experience hasn’t been a great one to say the least!

No, the RFI MPEMs are not interchangeable. The 2003 is different than the 2004. Compare yours to the shop manual for the 2003. The part number is also on the MPEMs body. Something is either not getting power (corrosion, disconnected) or a relay is bad. Also, you could have the wrong MPEM or the seller lied and it is bad. It is difficult to further diagnose it on a forum. You just need to find where the 12 volts ends and then test that last part (solenoid, cut-off relay, MPEM, etc.). Or just sell it and buy one that is running.

No, I don't think so. It gets power as soon as the DESS is plugged in not after the engine is started. Check the connectors up front. Unplug them and check for corrosion or a broken pin. Let me check the electrical flowchart. Be right back.
Hey, just quick question as it’s winter now and taking the time to go through my machine and see if I can finally diagnose the problem, I have checked continuity on every single wire in the harness and all are good, the first thing I want to try now is the cut-off relay, is there a way to test this ?
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back