2001 Seadoo GTX DI

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

cjburt22

Ok so I am attempting to help a guy fix his GTX DI even after I said I would never fool with one again....
The original symptom was it would only get 4,800 rpm's. It would just hold that all day in water or on trailer. So I tested all I could and replaced both TPS's. No change. So I ordered a guaranteed to be in perfect running condition MPEM. So now on the trailer it will Rev out all day nice and clean. I put it in water and it will launch and rip to around 7,000 rpms for a bit but once I let out of the throttle, the maint light comes on and it starts missing hard and won't ever recover. Once I let totally out to idle, the Maint light goes out and it'll go again. Over & over.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Casey

I'd replace the Rectifier. I had a weird problem with a DI. Would not respond to the throttle position, then it would other times. One would think the TPS was bad but someone here recommended replacing the rectifier and dang if it didn't work perfect after that. Still going too and that was a couple years ago.

I'm just finishing up on a RFI. I spent a lot of time checking and cleaning the pins. It is tedious but sometimes you gotta go there. I sure would pull the AMP plugs and do the checks/tests. On the MPEM that won't rev, I had a bad rev limiter on a RFI MPEM. I keep it for testing. Good ole fashion troubleshooting is what gets it done for me. The Candoo may give good info on the DI but it isn't much good on the other two strokes. Good Luck !!

I'd replace the Rectifier. I had a weird problem with a DI. Would not respond to the throttle position, then it would other times. One would think the TPS was bad but someone here recommended replacing the rectifier and dang if it didn't work perfect after that. Still going too and that was a couple years ago.

I'm just finishing up on a RFI. I spent a lot of time checking and cleaning the pins. It is tedious but sometimes you gotta go there. I sure would pull the AMP plugs and do the checks/tests. On the MPEM that won't rev, I had a bad rev limiter on a RFI MPEM. I keep it for testing. Good ole fashion troubleshooting is what gets it done for me. The Candoo may give good info on the DI but it isn't much good on the other two strokes. Good Luck !!
I will definitely try the rectifier. I have gone through every pin of every connection. This ski is mint and every pin looks flawless.

Hopefully it’s just the rectifier,,often when the fuel pump goes,,,it draws more current and the maintenance 12 volt light comes on.

I have no access to a Candoo and closet dealer is almost 2 hours and they were jerks and said they won't tough anything over 10 years old.
That's pretty much the norm. Great opportunities for knowledgeable people to make a few $$ helping others keep their skis running. I'm not sure how many people were actually good with DI's when they were fairly new and popular. With a little teamwork we should able to help on another.

Last edited:
That's pretty much the norm. Great opportunities for knowledgeable people to make a few $$ helping others keep their skis running. I'm not sure how many people were actually good with DI's in the when they were popular. Wioth a little teamwork we should able to help on another.
I sure could use some proper parts when ordering, there is some bs out there ! Around here there are a lot of older 1996-2002 skies on the lake

I sure could use some proper parts when ordering, there is some bs out there ! Around here there are a lot of older 1996-2002 skies on the lake
I only mess with 2 stroke Seadoos myself. I enjoy restoring/resurrecting them. So many of the parts are interchangable and they all pretty much work the same way. :)

Lots of places have parts for the skis depending on what you need. Ebay for certain. There are vendors on this site where you can buy some new parts, there are parts lists, etc...

So, I have 2 2002 DI's. Both of them had MAINT light issues when I bought them. I ended up biting the bullet and buying CanDoo to troubleshoot them. After reading the codes and observing the faults, both of them ended up having rectifier issues. I was able to confirm this by connecting a multimeter to the battery terminals while riding. I replaced the rectifiers and they've been running great since.
Later, because DI's are so sensitive to voltage, I ended up installing voltmeters on the handle bars beside the DESS post.
https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Qidoe-Waterproof-Voltmeter-Motorcycle/dp/B096RK1LJM/ref=sr_1_84?crid=JDV2UEGLM4LB&keywords=usb+voltmeter&qid=1666285736&qu=eyJxc2MiOiI0Ljg2IiwicXNhIjoiNC44MCIsInFzcCI6IjQuNDAifQ==&sprefix=usb+voltmete,aps,153&sr=8-84

Ok so I am attempting to help a guy fix his GTX DI even after I said I would never fool with one again....
The original symptom was it would only get 4,800 rpm's. It would just hold that all day in water or on trailer. So I tested all I could and replaced both TPS's. No change. So I ordered a guaranteed to be in perfect running condition MPEM. So now on the trailer it will Rev out all day nice and clean. I put it in water and it will launch and rip to around 7,000 rpms for a bit but once I let out of the throttle, the maint light comes on and it starts missing hard and won't ever recover. Once I let totally out to idle, the Maint light goes out and it'll go again. Over & over.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Casey
Before throwing parts at it put a volt meter on it and run it.make sure voltage stays below 14.5 and above standing battery voltage.get a fuel pressure gauge install it then run it.put a spark tester on it then run it.to cover the basics.then check air pressure out put.check rave valve solenoid make sure it's working.these are money pits because people just throw parts at them.

Ok, I replaced the rectifier and the temp sensor on the head and same result except the voltage is holding over 14v on anything above idle pretty much. I am noticing when I do Rev it hard, it is missing badly before it reaches the Rev limit. Something is still throwing into maint/limp mode at high rpm's. Once it idles back down, it will clear and allow me to Rev it out again.

Any more suggestions?

Ok, I changed out the exhaust temp sensor and man I thought that was it. It ran like a raped ape for way over 5 minutes, then started doing the same thing. I could turn it off ,let it sit then go again only for a few seconds then it would do it again. I decided to load it on the trailer and pulled the dess key. Then I decided to start it again to run it further on the trailer and it ran great again. So I backed it back out and it ran perfect until it got too dark on me and I loaded it back up. So it seems it's still something with the dess system or either it's just resetting the MPEM.
Thoughts?

Have you tried running with gas cap off? Seat off? Checked fuel pressure? Just some simple things to start.
I haven't ran it without gas cap and the fuel pressure guage I have only goes to 60psi and it does max it out. It still seems to be so sort of electrical issue. Since it will run great for a few minutes, but when it throws a maint light and goes into limp. I can turn it off and start it right back up and it will run perfectly again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back