2001 Seadoo Challenger 2000 - No Spark to 2 Cylinders

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

El Toro 33809

Took our boat out 2 weekends ago after not being out for a number of months. Launched it, it started fine, although the tach wasn’t working, idled out from the dock then accelerated. It wouldn’t rev out, so we returned it to the trailer and checked it out on land. Didn’t see any loose wires and nothing was in the intake grate. Started it on the trailer and it would rev out just fine. But.... back in the water we had the same experience so we called it a day.

Sunday I had some time to check things out, so the first thing I did was a compression test. All good there. Next was check for spark. The bottom cylinder on the left side and the middle cylinder on the right side had no spark. Moved plugs around and things didn’t change. That led me to believe the coils were bad, so I ordered 2 new ones. They arrived today.

After installing them I did tested for spark, guessing all would be good, but nothing changed. I then moved plugs but that didn’t change where the issue was. Next up, I moved the coils but the same cylinders had no spark (guess I should had done that Sunday before ordering the coils).

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do next? Does the tachometer get its reading from one of those 2 cylinders? The engine is the Mercury M2 Jet.

Thank you,
Tim

Last edited:
If you have a round flywheel cover-
Check your trigger ass'y resistance. There is a 6-pin connector aft of the flywheel cover. Disconnect and check resistance of the pairs. Check the specs avail. on this website.

The tach signal comes from the alternator/voltage regulator. Gray wire. You have 2 reg's. Try swapping tach wire to the other reg.

If you have a a square flywheel cover the tach signal is different.

Tim,

Thanks for the reply. It does have the round flywheel cover. I looked at the 6 pin connector you mentioned and there are definitely some frayed wires. I am going to splice in a new connector and see what that does.

Thanks again,
Tim

The original from-the-factory trigger had poor insulation that crumbled after a few years.

Good call on this. A new connector has been ordered and I will report back once it’s installed.

Have a good Easter weekend.

Although I spliced in a new coupler, it didn’t solve my problem. Took it to a independent repair shop, explained my problem, and 2 days later he had it fixed. The wires were rotted beyond my repair. He installed a new wiring harness and now I have spark to all 6 cylinders.

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back