2001 GTX RFI Start under load

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Overwrite3978

I am looking to buy a jet ski on Friday. The guy says it starts right up out of the water with hose, but won't start in the water. He said he thinks he had 120 compression but I will check when I go look at it. My question is, what should the compression be for the 01 GTX DI? Also any other ideas that could check before buying? Thank you for any help.

FULL STOP!!!
Never, ever, ever buy a Di with issues. Thank me later.

Di has a little higher compression than the carb 951, should be 140psi.

Is it that bad? He is asking $1,000 with trailer. I figure I can get it for $750. If he is correct that it has 120 psi, would that be below the acceptable psi for that ski?

FULL STOP!!!
Never, ever, ever buy a Di with issues. Thank me later.

Di has a little higher compression than the carb 951, should be 140psi.
I just messaged him and he said he believes it's the RFI with 782 engine. He isn't there until Friday so he can't send me pictures. He doesn't know much about them. How do you feel about the RFI instead of DI?

RFI is a little better but not nearly as easy to diagnose as the carb models.
If it is an RFI the engine is shot at 120psi.

A seadoo that doesn't run isn't worth more than $500 even if it is in perfect condition. You could potentially drop thousands into it.

Ok. Thank you. I could not find what the 787 RFI compression should be. I will test it and if it's 120 I will pass. Do you know what the 787 RFI should be at?

Back