2001 GTX DI Testing

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

vegaschef364

Getting a screeching noise from inside when getting on the throttle, guessing a bearing, most likely in the pump but want to do some checking. Did pull it and looked under and there is a black grommet that is off and just hanging on the shaft, will be fixing that but thinking it is not the source of the problem. But was thinking in terms of ruling out either engine/drivetrain, for this or any troubleshooting, can you remove the driveshaft from the engine and run the engine alone? That way if we don't hear the noise then we can rule out the engine and focus on the drivetrain/pump? Also can you hook up the shaft/impeller to say a drill and spin it to see if it makes the noise? I know they sometimes only make the noises when in the water and under pressure, and also not to run the impeller for too long without water. Was just thinking of alternative ways of testing/ruling out certain components of the waverunner.

Attachments

• pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 10
Yes, you are able to pull the pump and run the engine. I did that that with my rx di when I rebuilt the engine to run it longer on the hose without burning up the carbon seal. That grommet presses into the impeller to protect the splines.

Is it in a lower rpm? Can't remember the number off the top of my head but mine has been doing the same thing. Sat for about 5 years, just had a complete motor rebuild and I'm noticing it on the takeoff as well. Can sometimes find the sweetspot and make the noise stay consistent but was never willing to let it stay for too long. Interested in this thread.

Remove the pump and have a look at it internally. Rebuild kits are not expensive and you'll have new pump. :)

Remove the pump and have a look at it internally. Rebuild kits are not expensive and you'll have new pump. :)
Would the pump create an overheating issue as well? Just had mine rebuilt by a mechanic and the whine started first, now I'm overheating 2 minutes into ever ride and I can't seem to diagnose the issue. Any help would be appreciated thank you

Well you could have a blockage at the pump intake holes. I just had a guy replace his wear ring and the motor was locking up. I just got finished replacing the entire pump. Didn't have any oil in there and only a couple drops of water so these things are not beyond mechanical error. Do you have a quick connect on the water discharge pipe of the jet ski? That will restrict flow within the system. It definitely caused a problem with a 2003 RX I had. I removed it in the water and immediately the buzzer stopped and didn't restart. Take a look.

Sometimes the squeak can be the water seal but it shouldn't persist.

On a side not my RX sat for about a year and when I put it in the water it started making a whining sound, whistling sound. I didn't like it and was about to check the oil level in the balance shaft reservior when all of a sudden the noise stopped. All i can figure is the bearing got dry from sitting. If you think you have an engine problem you might add a little premix to the fuel or just fog the engine bottom end really good.

Back