1998 seadoo GSX Limited 951 wont start

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

bdpyanich

Hey everyone. I've been having a little issue here. About a year ago I bought a 1998 Seadoo GSX Limited from a friend. They were having trouble with it starting with the DESS system. To solve this problem I purchased a computer of of Jetskiplus.com that bypassed the DESS system. Now it will turn over every time but it will not start. I tore the carbs apart last year and put a new carb kit in. The thing that sucked is my friend only ran 87 oct in the ski and not premium. I replaced all of the fuel lines with new ones last year as well. After we got it turn over, it started a few times only on land. As soon as we put it into the water it would run rough for about 2 minutes and then it would quit and wouldn't start. I found out that it was running out of fuel which brought up a red flag. So I looked into a fuel pump for it. The fuel sending unit in the tank was bad after I did an Ohms test. So I got a new one and installed it a few days ago. I was certain that this would fix the problem but at this point it still will only pop off then stall. This has been an extremely frustrating project but I am determined to get it to run. If anyone on here has had the same problem or knows another thing to try I'm really open to anything. I also can not find a fuel line diagram for the ski so if someone knows were I could find one that would be great so I could double check all of my lines. Thanks in advance to everyone.

It is the 951 engine. Also an update after screwing around with it today. I pumped the accelerator pump quite a few times and it started up on a hose. We had it running for about 5 minutes and it ran really well. We set the idle at 3000 rpm. It ran like it should. After that, we took it to the lake to test it. It surprisingly started right up and went. The issue was that it would idle fine and go up to about 10 mph before it started to stall out. If I pulled the choke out just a hair, maybe about a 1/8 inch, it ran pretty decent. It started and stopped multiple times. It all seemed to start to work. We took it back to the lake a little later after adjusting the high speed screw because I read that it would possibly make it run better at higher speeds. When we got to the lake the second time, it doesn't start. It popped off a few times then nothing. It cranks but doesn't start.

You have a fuel issue and it’s running lean which is why pulling the choke helps.

Try running a hose directly from the tank to the carb to check the fuel strainer and shutoff valve.

Fuel pump is part of the carb not in the tank.

Finally 87 octane is all that’s required.

Okay. I will try that. I'm going to assume that if it still don't run that it would be a weak fuel pump right?
Negative, the fuel is pumped by pulsing pressure and check valves regulating that. The feed is from a pressurized tank> flow through the lines> regulated by the variable jetting systems and sizes> lastly is your return fuel line which, you guessed it, returns additional fuel.
-If you're idling out of water and it is dying IN the water, fuel demand could be higher than you’re allowing. (Dont crank up the jetting unless you know whats inside)
Low, High, Needle hardware
-Get those numbers and confirm requirements per the manual +\- modified engine status.
Of you dont know, take the carbs appart and write down your current jetting numbers, then read the manual about your GSXL and accommodate any changes you made to modify the engine.
-Check for even pop-off within spec while you're in there because why not!
-Turn everything to zero, mark where zero is according to closed adjusters, set to factory and turn out per spec
-Just add water after you get it back to 3k idle on the trailer.

Good luck, you should be G2G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back