1997 seadoo gtx 787

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought a seadoo the engine is an ocean of water and oil I took the cylinders of I didn't have to wedge to much I pulled them off pretty easy the cylinder walls aren't scard up smooth actually but not how it would be if they where honed I'm asking as to how I would know if I could reuse the pistons I'm waiting on a fly wheel puller to get to the rest and I know I would have to get a new crank for sure.

thanks for the help

You need to have a machine shop measure them and see if they are still within spec.

I recently bought a seadoo the engine is an ocean of water and oil I took the cylinders of I didn't have to wedge to much I pulled them off pretty easy the cylinder walls aren't scard up smooth actually but not how it would be if they where honed I'm asking as to how I would know if I could reuse the pistons I'm waiting on a fly wheel puller to get to the rest and I know I would have to get a new crank for sure.

thanks for the help
So if I measure them and I can get them clean if there in spec they should be good??

I've been really close to your exact position. You can get a kit from SBT or Fullbore. Takes the guesswork out of that. If I ever do a top-end that's the direction I'm going.

So if I measure them and I can get them clean if there in spec they should be good??

You'll need to hone them or have them honed. That is the best way to prep the cylinders for new rings. Cylinders will probably be at least .002" oversize when you get done honing. I've used cylinders that size but no larger. WSM pistons recommended clearance is .0045" to .005" so you have a little more latitude with them. Those are the only ones I use so I'm not sure about other brands. Good Luck.

If you are within spec just hit them with a ball hone yourself and put in new rings if the pistons look ok or you can do new pistons and rings. You won’t know what way to go until you have them measured.

I hope you ordered a bore gauge and not just a set of calipers. It really should be done by someone that is experienced measuring cylinders.

For rings if they are OEM pistons then you need OEM rings from seadoo.

I haven't measured a set of pistons yet that I would reuse and being right there after going through the trouble... I replace them. They've gone up and down quite a bit.... so I put the new stuff in there on mine. YMMV. Good Luck !

SBT pistons might be ok but I don't like the quality of their gaskets and stay away from their carb parts and starters.

I've worked on both OEM and aftermarket starters. I'm not sure the OEM is 5 times better. :D :D

I've worked on both OEM and aftermarket starters. I'm not sure the OEM is 5 times better. :D:D

Not sure about 5 times better but probably lasts 5 times as long. I would much rather spend the money on a clean used OEM starter and have it last for another 10-15 years than a $50 aftermarket one that will ruin my vacation.

so your saying sbt isn't worth it
I was going to go to ebay for all my parts there fair priced and everything I order is good quality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back