1997 Sea Doo GSX HI-TEMP warning/constant beeping

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

RavenZ06

I recently purchased a 1997 Sea Doo GSX with no spark. The owner had purchased it this spring and his kids rode it this summer until it died while riding. They had somebody look at it and were told it was the stator. When I arrived to look at it they were getting a constant beeping and 12v low warning on the gauge. We assumed it was simply a low battery from all the cranking during the no spark diagnosis process. We disconnected the battery and I bought it.

I charged the battery and started working on replacing the stator. I was happy to see that the pick up broke off and it was an obvious fix. I replaced the stator and pick up, fixed a loose starter motor and ground wire, replaced the 7.5A fuse and put the correct fuses in the correct locations (somebody mixed them up in the front fuse holder).

The GSX now has spark and will fire right up. However, it still has the constant beep at all times when the battery is connected, the gauge says HI-TEMP and the red light is on. I wasn't sure if the temperature sensor creates and open or a closed circuit when overheating, so I tried disconnecting temp sensor to create an open and grounding the temp sensor wire to create a closed circuit and neither will stop the warning. I traced the brown wire back to the MPEM and don't see any wiring issues. I removed the connectors from the MPEM and thought I found it when it looked like some of the terminals backed out and had slight corrosion, but after pushing the terminals back in and wire brushing the terminals the beeping still exists.

Also the gauges will not turn off when the key is removed. I disconnected the battery to prevent discharge. I'm wondering if the MPEM is bad. Or does the GSX need to go out on the water and meet certain conditions of normal temperature before the code will reset?

Sounds very mpem?
I think you are right. I spoke with the guys over at usedseadoompem.com and they believe that is what is happening. It also explains the gauges not turning off.

Since my original post I've had it out on the water and it's cavitating. Revving up to about 6-7k rpm and going 5mph. I've got the jet pump apart and the wear ring doesn't look great. I don't have a feeler gauge but it looks like more than .040" in some areas and it's got mild scratches. I ordered a wear ring and driveshaft rebuild kit. I'll do that then get it back out on the water to see if it's worth spending $1000 on an MPEM in the off season. Also I found a fairly cheap 97 GSX locally I may go check out Sunday. Maybe I'll gamble on that for a parts gsx.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back