1997 GTX gas in oil reservoir

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

robemty

I have a 1997 sesdoo gtx. I was at the lake and the ski ran fine all day. When I got home and went to disconnect the battery I noticed the oil reservoir was full and very thin. Can anyone tell me how fuel would get into oil reservoir. Also I noticed a black fluid coming out of one of the rave valves. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Did anybody but you refuel the ski?
I'd just clean the raves up. I think that is a good end of summer maintenance practice.

Last edited:
I am cleaning and rebuilding the rave valves. I see it says to use synthetic grease when putting back together. Is that just some of the synthetic oil for the ski or special grease I need. Also where can I find torque specs for the reassembly.

Syn grease for what?torque spec for what?no grease on rave valves.tighten the Allen bolts with loctite.raves need to be put together clean and dry.

Thank you. In the manual it shows to apply syn grease to the rubber piece and I didn't know if Allen screws needed tighten to torque spec.

No grease on the bellows.and just snug up the 5 mm Allen with clean threads and red loctite.make sure the bellow springs are in good shape.

No grease on the bellows.and just snug up the 5 mm Allen with clean threads and red loctite.make sure the bellow springs are in good shape.
I’ve used blue loctite , Red needs heat to break them free. Manual calls for blue, at least on my 99 RFI manual.

If prepped correctly with perfectly clean threads blue would work a drop of red will come off just fine.never needed heat to remove bolts with red loctite.been doing this a long long time

I have a 1997 sesdoo gtx. I was at the lake and the ski ran fine all day. When I got home and went to disconnect the battery I noticed the oil reservoir was full and very thin. Can anyone tell me how fuel would get into oil reservoir. Also I noticed a black fluid coming out of one of the rave valves. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Rob, did you figure out how the oil reservoir filled up with gas?

Lol, that surprises me that you didn’t know that one. That’s probably the only help you will ever get from me, lol.
I've had one spring break when I was installing it by hand which is how I do it so you can go too far with it for sure. :) I put the springs or o-rings on the bottom of the bellows as well. It doesn't call for it but I do it anyway. They seal better and help any oil drips. Viton is the best o-ring choice but the spring is the best.

Rob, did you figure out how the oil reservoir filled up with gas?
I've had two people put gas in the oil reservoir. One was smart enough to drain the tank. The other person ruined the rotary gear. I'm gonna put labels on the skis now.

Well like I said, I’ve done a lot of reading on this forum and have seen that you really know what your doing when it comes to these seadoo’s. You will love that little trick, no chance of breaking the spring as you only need to stretch it enough to go on the nylon valve.

I did it myself, put gas in the oil reservoir of my GTI right before we were going out for a ride, just took a different machine that day so still got to ride but I was disappointed in myself. Easy to do though

Well like I said, I’ve done a lot of reading on this forum and have seen that you really know what your doing when it comes to these seadoo’s. You will love that little trick, no chance of breaking the spring as you only need to stretch it enough to go on the nylon valve.
No formal training, I just dive in. LOL I got a lot of help on this forum when I got started for sure. Great place and friendly people.

I've had two people put gas in the oil reservoir. One was smart enough to drain the tank. The other person ruined the rotary gear. I'm gonna put labels on the skis now.
No one will own up to it. I drained tank took it out and cleaned it up. What is the rotary gear? Do I need to do anything else before firing it back up?

I was waiting hoping Etemplet would respond to your question , perhaps he will later. The rotary gear is located in the Center of the crankcase, the gear is seperated from the outer sides of the crankcase by 2 oil seals and runs the rotary valve. There is an oil line from the oil tank to the rotary valve cavity. I would empty as much oil from the rv cavity as I could because it wouldn’t have the same lubricating properties being mixed with the gas as the straight 2 stroke oil would. Maybe try blowing air sideways past the nipple to get some of the oil out. Once you’ve gotten as much out as you can and have re filled the oil tank I would think you should be good. Whatever little bit of gas that’s left in the rv cavity should mix with all the new oil you’ve put in and be ok. Make sure when your filling the oil tank to fill right up so the rv cavity gets replinshed with the new oil

Good Advice @burtshaver2021 :)
If you have a mitey-vac I'd hook a hose onto the lower fitting on the rotary valve chamber and vacuum out all the oil/gas mixture out I could. I'd also refill the chamber and vacuum all the oil out to give it a good flush. Then I'd hook the system up and refill the oil tank.

Here is a picture of the rotary valve shaft, engine cases split and the crankshaft lifted up a bit. The dipshit that filled this oil reservoir with gas didn't correct the problem he just ran the ski.

RV Gear Damage (1).JPEG

thanks for all the help. i flushed through new oil to get all the old out. it cranks and runs(i havent tested in water yet). My new problem is when i was doing all that i noticed the tuned pipe is leaking water from one of the two raised spots on the back side (it was hooked to hose). is this because it was hooked to the hose or is this something that needs to be addressed immediately? if so what is the fix for this issue.

In my opinion the best thing to do is to remove the pipe and have all of those areas aluminum welded. That said... JB weld seals it up just fine. LIkely it isn't just one that it in bad shape so I'd look hard at all of them. Yes you need to do the repair before putting it on the water. Good Luck with the testing !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back