1997 Challenger 787 with no spark

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thundar

Great forum with lots of good information. It's good to see people willing to help each other out still.

A friend of a friend type thing and I ended up with a 1997 Challenger with the single 787 engine. Having some trouble getting it to fire up, bought the factory manual and have been going through the troubleshooting.

1: Buzzer is not functional, verified by grounding out temperature sending unit on engine.
2: Battery was charged outside the boat and has 12.6VDC. Grounds all clean and secure.
3: MPEM seems to recognize the DESS lanyard as I do get the 33 seconds of gauge power. Depressing the start button does engage the starter, the tachometer increases from 0RPM to approximately 500 RPM while cranking (thinking this is showing the trigger coil is functioning correctly - trigger coil resistance measurement was within the specs shown in the manual). If the gear selector is not in neutral, the engine will not turn over so I believe the neutral safety switch is working and being recognized correctly by the MPEM. Most functions of the MPEM seem to work, but there is no spark to either cylinder. I do not get any type of voltage signal on the white w/ green tracer wire coming from the MPEM to the ignition coil. Ignition coil did have resistance readings within the specs shown in the manual.

Anyone have any thoughts as to anything I have missed or should look at? Thank you

Might pull the mag cover and see if the trigger coil bracket has broken. Early model 787 trigger coil brackets had a tendency to break.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back